Page 1 of 1

Feeding list for my turtle with pyramiding. Need advice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:05 pm
by khg002
So Ive known Valentine has had a shell problem for a while and Ive been actively attempting to fix it. I will post pictures but for now all I can say is that she is 3 inches long and according to another thread here she has pyramiding. I have altered her diet and severely reduced the amount of protein I give her.

I feed her the following on a daily basis, please let me know if I should change things up again.

2 reptomin pellets dusted with calcium powder (regular size not baby size) in the morning
1 small leaf of either turnip green or green leaf lettuce at about 5pm. The size of this lead is smaller than her shell.
There is also cuttle bone in the tank that she munches on.
I cut her uva/uvb lights on at about 7 and off at about 7 or 8

If there's any other information you need please let me know!
I will also be attempting the turtle jello shots. Thanks for any help you could offer.

Re: Feeding list for my turtle with pyramiding. Need advice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:24 pm
by marisa
Hi. I looked back at your previous thread and can only say that it's going to take longer to show improvement than it did for your RES to get that way.

I will say, too, that for a 3-inch turtle, 2 regular Reptomin a day along with a shell-size leaf of green leaf lettuce or turnip green doesn't seem like very much to me. What brand of calcium powder are you using (it should ideally contain no phosphorus)? I'd vary the diet more. I'd get another brand of pellets and alternate with the Reptomin for variety as well.

I remember asking about the lighting---are both the UVB light and heat source over the basking area? Does your turtle readily bask?

How old is the Reptisun? They should be changed every 6 - 8 months, since they loose UVB strength with use.

Re: Feeding list for my turtle with pyramiding. Need advice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:42 pm
by khg002
I guess I should just post pictures and get actual instructions on how much to feed her. I'm not trying to underfeed her but the pyramiding has me kinda scared. If you think I under feed here could you recommend a new dosage of food? Yes she basks regularly and is very active and friendly. The only sign she is unhealthily are the notches on her shell. The shell itself isn't soft though it's just notched a little. She readily eats anything I put I the tank including cuttlebone. I also have a a container of turtle food that contains meal worms, shrimp, and crickets. I give her those very rarely. The lights are adequate and the temp on the basking area is in the mid to low 90's. The temp of the water is about 78-80 and I have a filter rated for a tank about three or four times my size. Plus I'm working on a sump and overflow system.

Re: Feeding list for my turtle with pyramiding. Need advice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 6:06 pm
by marisa
What do you mean when you say the lights area adequate? How old is the UVB light?