Page 1 of 1
Guppies and setup upgrade for planted tank

Posted:
Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:47 pm
by slider_keeper

So I got a good idea oneday to say hey why not buy a couple guppies and breed them for my turtle to have a fish every once in a while. I bought about 5 a couple males and some females only three survived a female and two males. I have them in a small 5 gal tank. I was thinking why not get a 20 gal when petco has a tank sale. I have a couple flourecent light laying around why not setup a planted tank put the guppies in there and let the plants and guppies multiply and vuola. I have fish and plants for my turt! And I bet I could make one cool looking breeder tank out of it

Re: Guppies and setup upgrade for planted tank

Posted:
Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:52 pm
by Love of Animals
Sounds good! I recently upgraded my turtle from a 20 gallon to a 55 gallon and turned his old tank into a breeding tank. I have platys. With platys your supposed to have 2 - 3 females for each male. I don't know if it's the same for guppies though. They are both live bearers and their care is the same so it might. I can't wait I think 1 of my platys is pregnant.
Re: Guppies and setup upgrade for planted tank

Posted:
Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:13 pm
by SSMcLeod
I added plants to my turtle tank when I got the first two - and with a CO2 system the plants grow at a rate equal to the turtle consumption... (Also gives the plecos and rainbow sharks places to hide)
Re: Guppies and setup upgrade for planted tank

Posted:
Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:29 pm
by slider_keeper
yeah you are suppose to have 2 females to every male but I got five three males two females. Only two males and one female survived probably my fualt some how. So I figure I will just leave them as is and see what happens. I figure if they start breeding soon then I will upgrade when they do, but for now I will just wait. I got then when they were really small
Re: Guppies and setup upgrade for planted tank

Posted:
Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:11 am
by Love of Animals
Keep an eye out for aggression with the males. If there is no aggression it's fine. If they do get aggressive some more plants or decorations may help. Good luck! I hope your guppies have fry!
Re: Guppies and setup upgrade for planted tank

Posted:
Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:59 pm
by Joao
I inherited 5 guppy fry , when they grew up I got 2 males and 3 females. I now have 25-35 fish in my 5 gallon and since homie decided not to eat this last group I put in his tank he now is living with 3 older guppies and 8 new fry.
It will get out of hand quick. You will definately need a bigger tank eventually as its not an easy task to maintain an overcrowded 5 gallon. I just don't care enough about the guppies to upgrade.
It is fun to watch them grow and reproduce, though.