Page 1 of 1

RES is tired of her food

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:29 am
by vrbrowning
My Res is 2 years old, and has never had a problem eating.. But lately she is not liking her food. I haven't changed anything, and she acts hungry, but when I feed her she chews up her food and spits it back out. Do I need to change foods? I use the Fluker's Buffet Blend and the Fluker's Medley Treat for Aquatic Turtles. I also give her anacharis and the cubes of Frozen Aquatic Turtle Diet but not as often as the other two. It is mostly the pellets that she chews up and spits out. I know that as they mature they eat more plant-based foods than insects and meaty foods - could this be her way of saying her appetite is changing? Advice?

Re: RES is tired of her food

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:47 am
by steve
RES will usually prefer pellets whenever they can get it. Try a different brand, like Reptomin, HBH, and see how it goes.

Re: RES is tired of her food

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:51 am
by Love of Animals
If she's eating plants still that's good. Try feeding different types of lettuce and greens like red leaf lettuce, green leaf lettuce, romaine, and dandelion greens. Anacharis is good. You can also try different water plants like water lettuce and hornwort. At this point she should be eating more plants than protein. You can try different pellets like Reptomin, Wardlys and Mazuri. If she stops eating totally let us know.

Re: RES is tired of her food

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:20 pm
by vrbrowning
Thank you for your replies :) I do feed her romaine from time to time as well.. And I figured it was time to focus on more veggies and plants. I just read a post about making your own frozen gelatin turtle snacks so I will try that out too!