Feeding and Nutrition :: 20 year old RES not eating for 3 weeks

Turtle diets and eating habits discussed here.

Post Posted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:47 am   20 year old RES not eating for 3 weeks

Our 20 year old slider has stopped eating for almost 3 weeks. We have tried everything and are now forced to feed him with a feeding tube ( he was getting quite week and a solution was given to us by the vet )
He was given a xray- blood came back normal and has been getting weekly antibiotic shots. Any suggestions? We are quite concerned.
atticusfinch

Post Posted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:59 am   Re: 20 year old RES not eating for 3 weeks

Did you raise him from a hatchling ? May be older than 20 if not. Any blood work done ?

You can also get some unflavored Pedialyte and mix it 50/50 in some warm water then soak him in it. Do this in a separate container and only have the level a little above his shell since so weak. This way he only has to raise his head to breath. Do this for a hour couple times a day. He hopefully will drink some and get nutrition in. The antibiotic's will curb his appetite too so the soaks will help . Hopefully he will drink a lot !

If you still have the other two smaller turtles I would seperate them as a precaution !
Last edited by litefoot on Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
litefoot

Post Posted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:06 am   Re: 20 year old RES not eating for 3 weeks

no- we rescued him from a friend who really never took care of him. He spent the summer in our pond and was thriving. We took him in when the weather got cold. He was doing great until we introduced a few other turtles in the tank. We have since separated him and he has is own tank. Yes, blood work was done and it came back normal. His eyes were a bit swollen too but we giving him drops that seem to help.
Last edited by atticusfinch on Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
atticusfinch

Post Posted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:11 am   Re: 20 year old RES not eating for 3 weeks

I type slow being old , the edit was adding about separation.

Depending on his true age and DNA …?
Did you quarantine those other's for several week's before they went into his tank ?

The 50/50 mixture , try , do all you can to help .
Last edited by litefoot on Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
litefoot

Post Posted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:15 am   Re: 20 year old RES not eating for 3 weeks

the other two turtles came from the same pond. i have 8000 gallon koi pond
atticusfinch

Post Posted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:21 am   Re: 20 year old RES not eating for 3 weeks

You must be online as hidden … keep catching me when adding another line. Like I said I'm old .

Before Hurricane Katrina I had a Koi pond about that size with several turtles too. Now new home new life it's Piggley and me.

Good luck with your old guy !
litefoot

Post Posted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 1:04 pm   Re: 20 year old RES not eating for 3 weeks

How long have you had him? It's normal for RES to slow down a bit and eat less as the season gets colder and there's less light out.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:59 pm   Re: 20 year old RES not eating for 3 weeks

we have him indoors in a aquarium
atticusfinch

Post Posted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:35 pm   Re: 20 year old RES not eating for 3 weeks

Does he corporate with you on the tube. Is he holding any of the solution in that the vet gave.

Did the vet say why the antibiotic shot's with him being so weak since x-rays and blood work was normal , just a precaution maybe.
litefoot

Return to Feeding and Nutrition