Feeding and Nutrition :: Concern about red ear terrapin

Turtle diets and eating habits discussed here.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:11 am   Concern about red ear terrapin

Hi I am a first time owner of 2 terrapins for about 2 weeks now. I am concern about shell rot after seeing videos on Youtube about it, as i notice a black spot on the bottom shell with what looks like a pit on one of them and there seem to be reddish spot on both of them. I think my terrapins are also pyramiding. Here are some of the pictures of them.Please advice.
Attachments
WhatsApp Image 2019-01-21 at 21.07.11.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2019-01-21 at 21.06.36.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2019-01-21 at 21.06.35.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2019-01-21 at 21.06.35(3).jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2019-01-21 at 21.06.35(2).jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2019-01-21 at 21.06.35(1).jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2019-01-21 at 21.06.34.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2019-01-21 at 21.06.34(2).jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2019-01-21 at 21.06.34(1).jpeg
KasDan

Post Posted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:39 pm   Re: Concern about red ear terrapin

You would do much better reading at top header of this page all the topics on turtles . Good documented advice , much better than a "YT" video.

Pictures look good to me but are being feed a little too much. The growth line's around the scutes are a little wide. Adjust diet. I looked up the numbers on your food not bad but it's just a general food. Babies need a good diet / food due to how fast they are growing. If you can get Omega One it's highly recommended. These are the numbers on it. Compare to yours.
Crude Protein
39.0% min
Crude Fat
10.0% min
Crude Fiber
2.0% max
Moisture
9.0% max
Ash
7.0% max
Phosphorus
1.0% min
Calcium
2.0% min
Omega-3 Fatty Acids
1.0% min
Omega-6 Fatty Acids
0.5% min

As turtles shed the colorations do change up , even the patterns to a point , yours look normal. That lite pinkish is them growing , maybe a little to fast so adjust the diets. Also looks like one is getting more food than the other , feed separately so both gets there share. By the time juvinels in a year or so you may not recognize them. That baby cute green goes away. Most beginners don't see babies shed , scutes are small and translucent. If you see raised scutes don't pull them off let nature do it , could hurt the turtle and damage the shell. I can see a shed getting ready to start , keratin layer starting to lift that's normal.

Make sure you have a good UVB specialy bulb and a basking heat bulb over the basking area , very important to babies. Basking area needs to be 90* and water temp a consistent 80* for young babies.
litefoot

Post Posted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:42 am   Re: Concern about red ear terrapin

Thanks for the advice.
Erm so the black spots at the bottom on one of my terrapin is not shell rot?
KasDan

Post Posted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:11 am   Re: Concern about red ear terrapin

Photos not as good as having it in my hand , from photos I say no. Are normal indication's of growth , too me growing a little too fast , adjust diet. Some turtles have more melanin pigments than other's and some turn all black in time that's normal too. Does it have an smell , soft ? Any yellowish pus , opaque liquid being produced ? Remember babies that size can still be pliable. Observe for any change but coloration does change when they shed due to air , water and dirt getting between the layer as they lift.

Make sure you read a lot especially for what babies need in a habitat ! Correct water temp , basking platform they will use correct lighting ( UVA and UVB ) and correct temps over it will help prevent shell rot. Easier to prevent than cure ! Shell rot comes from not having a correct setup.
litefoot

Return to Feeding and Nutrition