Feeding and Nutrition :: How much protein should I be feeding my baby slider?

Turtle diets and eating habits discussed here.

Post Posted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:48 pm   How much protein should I be feeding my baby slider?

I have a 4-5 month old red eared slider. Previously, her diet had consisted mainly of pellets because it was relatively hard to get produce. Well, I think I’ve identified a small example of pyramiding in her shell and maybe signs she’s over fed? The pictures were too big to upload here, so I uploaded them to imgur: https://imgur.com/a/qJ8Hnby

My plan now is to feed her leafy greens and carrots for two days, meal worms and crickets the next day, and pellets the next. I’ve read a few places that protein should make up most of her diet but I think I should cut down slightly on the protein. Thoughts? Should I be feeding her protein 3 days instead of 2? Or is my current schedule fine? I think the scutes are growing apart slightly, and there’s some pyramiding in front. Like I said, I’m trying to cut down on the protein because of this, but I’m not sure if I’m cutting down too much
Pearson_Realize

Post Posted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 3:16 am   Re: How much protein should I be feeding my baby slider?

Did you hatch it from the egg to know for sure (4-5 months) ? Overfeeding so much looks like a 3 year old. Very unhealthy.
Turtle being feed way too much / growing at an unsafe pace ! What’s the amount at each feeding ? Shell say’s too much !!! Growth margins are too larger and has some scute buildup . Turtle in photo is not a baby any more. That size more like a young juvenile and should be on 40-50 mixed veggies and protein every other day in the correct amount . If produce hard to get grow your own it's easy ! Look at top header on this page under "nutrition" for list of safe veggies to offer. Turtles diet changes as it grows. The amount is very important too since it’s captive !
The two thirds rule works at any age so read here : http://www.redearslider.com/index_nutrition.html
There are readings on pellets / amount and fresh plants/veggies .

What you were told when it was 1” is for a baby only. By yearling diet changes , then juvenile changes even more and by adult even more changes.
litefoot

Post Posted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 1:00 pm   Re: How much protein should I be feeding my baby slider?

litefoot wrote:Did you hatch it from the egg to know for sure (4-5 months) ? Overfeeding so much looks like a 3 year old. Very unhealthy.
Turtle being feed way too much / growing at an unsafe pace ! What’s the amount at each feeding ? Shell say’s too much !!! Growth margins are too larger and has some scute buildup . Turtle in photo is not a baby any more. That size more like a young juvenile and should be on 40-50 mixed veggies and protein every other day in the correct amount . If produce hard to get grow your own it's easy ! Look at top header on this page under "nutrition" for list of safe veggies to offer. Turtles diet changes as it grows. The amount is very important too since it’s captive !
The two thirds rule works at any age so read here : http://www.redearslider.com/index_nutrition.html
There are readings on pellets / amount and fresh plants/veggies .

What you were told when it was 1” is for a baby only. By yearling diet changes , then juvenile changes even more and by adult even more changes.

She was about three inches when we bought her. She’s slightly over four inches now. I usually try to feed her a head size amount of pellets. What vegetables should I be feeding her most of? I’ve read that green and red leaf lettuce, turnip greens, and dandelion leaves are the best things to feed them regularly. Do you agree?
Pearson_Realize

Post Posted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 3:08 pm   Re: How much protein should I be feeding my baby slider?

Slightly over an inch in 4-5 months still growing too fast. Adjust diet before health problems show up. Cut the head size amount down to 2/3's on the protein and every other day. Veggies should be a good mix not just one type and every day. Say if green leaf type a piece a little smaller than it's shell is good. Those you just listed are good. I also mix it up more . I give my Piggley steamed sweet potato once a month and he likes zucchini too but as a treat only once a month too. For a change of texture I mix veggies up now and then with pleco wafers , just two and I hide them so he has to hunt for them. He finds them all the time ! Also in the mix , wheat germ formula pellets , only 32% protein but has lots of vitamins in them. That's a Koi food. Some say the Koi wheat germ is only anecdotal info ( true to a point ) but in the past several years more good info is coming out about it for a turtles shell health. Very good for juveniles and adults "not" yearlings or babies. You now have a juvenile going on a young adult. I personally been using it for over 2 years and see myself better shell health and better over all health. Your call on that. Lots of anecdotal info with enough research does become documented fact over time. On the turtle sticks / pellets , protein side I like omega one , It's a high quality food , recommended by many long timers. If used every other day a 3.5 oz size will last a long time using the 2/3's rule. I haven't used a OTC general turtle food in many years . It's a learning curve , since I've in this hobby six decades I got picky on turtle foods. Piggley never eats the same thing twice in a week.
Bottom line a well varied , well mixed and nutritious diet is best when controlled for a captive turtle. And us too !
litefoot

Post Posted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 3:57 pm   Re: How much protein should I be feeding my baby slider?

litefoot wrote:Slightly over an inch in 4-5 months still growing too fast. Adjust diet before health problems show up. Cut the head size amount down to 2/3's on the protein and every other day. Veggies should be a good mix not just one type and every day. Say if green leaf type a piece a little smaller than it's shell is good. Those you just listed are good. I also mix it up more . I give my Piggley steamed sweet potato once a month and he likes zucchini too but as a treat only once a month too. For a change of texture I mix veggies up now and then with pleco wafers , just two and I hide them so he has to hunt for them. He finds them all the time ! Also in the mix , wheat germ formula pellets , only 32% protein but has lots of vitamins in them. That's a Koi food. Some say the Koi wheat germ is only anecdotal info ( true to a point ) but in the past several years more good info is coming out about it for a turtles shell health. Very good for juveniles and adults "not" yearlings or babies. You now have a juvenile going on a young adult. I personally been using it for over 2 years and see myself better shell health and better over all health. Your call on that. Lots of anecdotal info with enough research does become documented fact over time. On the turtle sticks / pellets , protein side I like omega one , It's a high quality food , recommended by many long timers. If used every other day a 3.5 oz size will last a long time using the 2/3's rule. I haven't used a OTC general turtle food in many years . It's a learning curve , since I've in this hobby six decades I got picky on turtle foods. Piggley never eats the same thing twice in a week.
Bottom line a well varied , well mixed and nutritious diet is best when controlled for a captive turtle. And us too !

Thanks for your help! So you’re saying I should feed her veggies every day? Should I feed her pellets every day too along with the veggies or just some days?
Pearson_Realize

Post Posted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 4:11 pm   Re: How much protein should I be feeding my baby slider?

Protein every “other” day.

Veggies every day. On those protein day’s just cut down a little on the veggie’s.

Some even skip one day in a week on all food , will not hurt a turtle.
litefoot

Return to Feeding and Nutrition