Feeding and Nutrition :: Frequency of eating

Turtle diets and eating habits discussed here.

Post Posted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:29 am   Frequency of eating

Hi to everyone!

My slider is now 1 year and 7 month and I have some doubts:

1. I imagine he's not a baby now but, is he a yearling or do we consider now as an adult? (if not, when do you consider slider is adult?)

2. Until now, I have been feeding him every day, but I'm starting to think that, if he's not a baby, maybe I should change the frequency.

3. Finally, and this doesn't has nothing to do with food but I take the opportunity, is it too soon to know if he's a male or a female? He's about 7,5 cm long.

Thank you SO MUCH!!
Laura84

Post Posted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 11:18 am   Re: Frequency of eating

1 - Yes, he's a yearling. Sometimes they're called adult when they are sexually mature, but I don't think most people think about it unless they're breeders or studying them.

2 - You can feed them everyday or not... it's up to you. But you absolutely need to monitor what and how much you are feeding them. Don't worry if you want to only feed once, 2x, or 3x a week... it's fine but you need to consider their diet. Personally, I feed them about 6x a week.

3 - He's still a bit small, but male characteristics are obvious so if he's a male you might find out sooner. If your RES is a female, you probably won't know until the 4" (10cm) size guideline.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 4:01 am   Re: Frequency of eating

Thank you Steve. So I think I will continue to feed him everyday and adjust quantity and more vegs (he look at me when it's time to eat and it's hard not to give him something, haha).
Laura84

Post Posted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 5:07 pm   Re: Frequency of eating

Yeah, they're experts at begging. Their internal clock is pretty accurate when it comes to meals :)
steve
Site Admin

Return to Feeding and Nutrition