Feeding and Nutrition :: Help with feeding my turtle

Turtle diets and eating habits discussed here.

Post Posted: Wed May 19, 2021 4:20 pm   Help with feeding my turtle

So my turtle is overall healthy, but probably a bit over fed due to the fact I’m afraid not to feed her (I am a brand new turtle owner.) We estimate she is between 8-10 months old, and I’ve given her pellets, shrimp, and worms. She eats but my only problem is, if the food floats for more then a couple minutes (and even seconds) she loses it, refuses to eat it, and begs me for brand new food. Which makes a huge mess in her tank, and drives me a bit batty. I’ve tried feeding her in a desperate container with water but she won’t do it! She prefers to be hand fed but I sometimes don’t have the time nor the want to to stand there and feed her by hand for 10-15 minutes. Can you please let me know how often I should be feeding a turtle this age, how to kinda “restart” her feeding program and how much to feed her? I’d love to feed her in a separate container but I think the problem is she isn’t hungry enough (but when you put her back in the tank she wants food) Please please help.
ChildofGod12

Post Posted: Wed May 19, 2021 4:21 pm   Re: Help with feeding my turtle

*separate not desperate lol
ChildofGod12

Post Posted: Wed May 19, 2021 7:49 pm   Re: Help with feeding my turtle

She's probably looking up and not seeing the food. Just leave and let her figure it out.She will associate you with food, so this is normal but if you're standing right there when feeding her, then she will fixate on you.
steve
Site Admin

Return to Feeding and Nutrition