Equipment Review and Discussion :: Rena Filstar XP Series Canister Filters

Various accessories and equipment discussed here.

Post Posted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:13 pm   Re: Rena Filstar XP Series Canister Filters

Thanks devilduck, I think I'll go that route.
tonyandlala

Post Posted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 6:17 pm   Re: Rena Filstar XP Series Canister Filters

API Filstar filters are no good to me. Go with Fluval!
1 Male Mississippi Map/Mississippi
1 Female RES/Slidy.
1 DBT White Concentric Female/ Lucky
1 DBT Male/ Spots
(Housed in the same tank)

300 gallon indoor stock tank, FX6 & FX5 filters. Mega-Ray 100w UVB bulb.
Kansasslider

Post Posted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:00 pm   Re: Rena Filstar XP Series Canister Filters

How many bio-chem stars fit in each basket on the Filstar XP-XL filter? I have a new filter on the way and want to fill two baskets with the stars. Will 120 be enough to fill 2 baskets?
balraug

Post Posted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:40 am   Re: Rena Filstar XP Series Canister Filters

balraug wrote:How many bio-chem stars fit in each basket on the Filstar XP-XL filter? I have a new filter on the way and want to fill two baskets with the stars. Will 120 be enough to fill 2 baskets?

That may be way too many. I only have about 30 or so in just one basket. I have charcoal and Sanchem in the other one.
Into_the_Mystic

Post Posted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:11 pm   Re: Rena Filstar XP Series Canister Filters

Thanks. I'd rather return something than have to wait another week for more media to show up. Sounds like I'll have some to return.

I have another question about the Filstar XP-XL. I have a 150 gallon tank that is a little over 6' long (not full so I think the filter should be sufficient). The way my tank stand has been customized, the filter can only go on the far left. This means that the intake and outflow tubes will not be the same length. Does it matter whether I set it up 1) intake short and outflow long or 2) intake long and outflow short? If so, which is better?
balraug

Post Posted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:17 pm   Re: Rena Filstar XP Series Canister Filters

Good question.. I think I cut mine too short one my new filter. It doesn't seem to have much flow power with the short tubes. I have the canister sitting underneath the tank stand.
Into_the_Mystic

Post Posted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:04 am   Re: Rena Filstar XP Series Canister Filters

For a 150 gallon, I would lean towards an FX6, or an FX5 if you can find one. I've never though about which tube being longer... just make sure there are no loops, kinks, or bends (especially for the intake).
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:31 am   Re: Rena Filstar XP Series Canister Filters

I'd say make the return shorter.

The pump in a filter isn't pulling water in, it's just pushing it up to the tank. It's gravity that pulls water down to a filter. That's why canister filters need to be below the tank.

Make it so the part that can fail has to work the least.
Tobi a RES born in 2012
1 dog, 1 teenager, 3 aquariums filled with fish, snails, shrimp and a bit of algae
ljapa

Post Posted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:32 am   Re: Rena Filstar XP Series Canister Filters

The more I read about these filters, having the return be shorter does seem to make more sense. Thanks.
balraug

Post Posted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:23 pm   Re: Rena Filstar XP Series Canister Filters

So, I've got the filter set up below my tank on the far left (the only place it can sit). The inlet tube is about 6' and the outlet is 3-3.5'. Water is flowing very well.

There is one small problem. Air is slowly getting into the canister from somewhere. Every 10-12 minutes or so the filter makes a different noise for about 5 seconds and I can see air bubbles coming out of the spray get (which I have underwater as I did not want the waterfall noise). The inlet assembly parts are sealed with aquarium silicon and the tube connections looks correct and are held tightly with a metal clamp. Two questions, what else should I be checking to see if it is the source of the bubbles and is a little air in the canister going to make the filter less effective?

One other thing, there is an air stone in the tank. It is almost 3' from the inlet tube and I have not seen any bubbles getting sucked in.
balraug

Post Posted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:53 pm   Re: Rena Filstar XP Series Canister Filters

Any agitation of the water including the filter itself will cause micro bubbles. Your filter will accumulate these bubbles. Get rid of the air stone and unplug your filter periodically to let the air out.
1 Female RES/Slidy.
1 DBT Male/ Spots

Kansasslider

Post Posted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:58 pm   Re: Rena Filstar XP Series Canister Filters

Sorry but I have nothing good to say about this filter. On the other hand its no different than most. I'm not sure if there is any filter that let's the air out or purges itself other than an fx5 or 6?
1 Female RES/Slidy.
1 DBT Male/ Spots

Kansasslider

Post Posted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 2:28 am   Re: Rena Filstar XP Series Canister Filters

I shut everything off in the room except the filter and inspected everything again. There was a pinhole in one of the joints on the inlet assembly above the water line. I threw some silicon on it and that has made a huge difference. There have been a few air bubble purges since then each lasting a few seconds. But now it is hours between them instead of several an hour.

Sounds like this is pretty normal.
balraug

Post Posted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:42 pm   Re: Rena Filstar XP Series Canister Filters

Good catch! I've had my XP3 running for what feels like 10 years are so. There will be some cracks developing where the inlet extentions connect. Surprisingly not a significant amount of air has seeped in on my filters. There are replacement pipes, but they don't seem to fit the same way (if that makes sense). I might try using some silicone or just one piece of PVC in the future.
steve
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Equipment Review and Discussion