Page 1 of 1

Nesting equipment

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 3:23 pm
by Boogerbutt02
Hello
I recently read on here that female turtles lay eggs even if there is no male present. I have search this sites and have done several internet searches and cannot find the best way to make a "nesting box" for my turtle. If anyone has any suggrestion I would greatly appricate them.
Thanks

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 4:00 pm
by cam722
Try this site.. :)

http://www.tortoisetrust.org/articles/Nestsites.htm

yes turtles lay eggs even if they aren't fertilized, just like chickens do. The eggs you buy in a store are unfertilized chicken eggs :)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 4:02 pm
by jenaero
How old/big is your turt? You won't have to worry about that til she's 7 inches or so (marisa, correct me if I'm wrong)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 4:43 pm
by sonyj
You are right Jen. I've read females mature between 5-7 years old or 6 to 7.5 inches. :)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 7:05 pm
by marisa
They can lay eggs when they're a bit smaller than 7 inches, but there's less chance of them being viable. As for age, about 5 years is what I've heard from most people.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 7:38 pm
by Boogerbutt02
Thanks for the link to the site

I have had my turtle for close to four years and she is about 8 inches.