Equipment Review and Discussion :: My "aquarium" has a warning - "do not fill wi

Various accessories and equipment discussed here.

Post Posted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 1:12 pm   My "aquarium" has a warning - "do not fill wi

Hi. I’m new here, so point me in the right direction if there is already a discussion about this.

I posted one other thread and learned a lot of good info for my son’s RES, and my wife’s 2 RES. One thing I learned – they all need more water, and we’re working on that…

Here’s the problem. The tank we bought new for my son, and the one we got used (for free) with our orphan turtles, are both the same brand. The brand name is “Critter Cage”. Basically a cheap aquarium with a locking mesh lid… AND… when you get them new, they are clearly marked “Do not fill with water”.

What?

The reptile expert at the pet store, who helped choose all of our gear, recommended this Critter Cage and said not to worry about that. My son’s has been well over half full without a problem. The big one we got used has about 7” of water an no problem so far.

Is anybody familiar with this brand? Why do they say do not fill with water? Is it safe to fill it with water? Half full - safe?
TurtleKeeper48

Post Posted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 1:20 pm   

I have those tanks for my snakes. They're not made to hold the weight of water and could very well break. Sounds like you've been lucky so far. I was told that minimal water is fine (enough for, say, a pacman frog) but half-full sounds like you're taking your chances.
The things that come to those who wait may be the things that were left by those who got there first - Steven Tyler
jenaero

Post Posted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 1:26 pm   

They are probably not designed to hold water. Aquariums are reinforced with strong glass, and perfect seals. Personally, I would never put any water in it if it said Do not fill with water..
Last edited by Caphits on Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cap-hits, not Cafits.
Caphits

Post Posted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 3:26 pm   

The name says it all "Critter" "Cage". It's made for displaying reptiles or whatever critters you may want to display,but not to hold water.
Bring it back to the store and get an aquarium.
jozzep

Post Posted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:01 pm   

Don't listen to people who work at pet stores, unless you know for a fact that they really know what they are talking about. Most of them have no clue about turtles.
Toby - RES - adopted in December 2007 - 120g tank - Fluval FX5

Max - Pit Bull/Irish Setter/Dalmatian mix - adopted in March 2009
Lola - Pit Bull mix - adopted in June 2009
meltedspork

Post Posted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:10 pm   

Turt-48-- Those tanks are for other critters that do no require water. The glass is thinner and could break if filled with water. Take it back! I have said a lot about these pet shops. They know where the bathroom is , what day they get paid and that is about it. Aquatic turtles ain't on thier radar screen. m.
Things come to those who wait, - Just remember, someone probably got there first!
mike hill

Post Posted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:54 pm   

I filled a 20L critter cage about half way with no problems. Wouldn't recommend it tho :D
I build acrylic ATBAs.
Rubicon

Post Posted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:46 am   

Rubicon - We've had a 20L Critter Cage half full for months now.

The gal at the pet store said it would be okay... she said don't worry - you're not going to fill it, only half fill it, and it will be fine. She was the in-house turtle and reptile expert (per the other workers) and she did seem to know a lot... and it hasn't failed (yet)... but I'm with you - No way would I recomend this to anybody else. I'm not comfortable with it.

Now we've got the two new orphans - also in a Critter Cage - it's at least a 40 with at least 15 gal in it. Not comfortable with this at all... and we want to increase the water depth.

So, I'm watching Craigs List for new Aquariums. Our turtles are in pretty good TEMP homes right now and all doing well. We're hoping to upgrade size a little bit on both when we upgrade to "real" aquariums so that we can FILL them up for the turtles to swim and play.

While I'm watching CL for deals on something big enough - I will need to get our UVB's going and get a filter for the new turts... We set up a tank with no filter to get things going (this was an emergency rescue operation) ...that water needed changed like 24 hours later... I can't do that eveyday.
TurtleKeeper48

Post Posted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:51 am   

Turt-48 Of course she said it would be ok. If it breaks and you take it back she will replace it, but you are left with the damage and mess to clean up. The glass it thinner and there is a reason for the warning. m.
Things come to those who wait, - Just remember, someone probably got there first!
mike hill

Post Posted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:57 pm   

meltedspork wrote:Don't listen to people who work at pet stores, unless you know for a fact that they really know what they are talking about. Most of them have no clue about turtles.

one of the owners told me "dont fill your tank fully with water or they will drown" and this guy had the nerve to have turtles with no basking spot and like soo little water in a tank and i looked at him like "are you okay?? you seem tired". they just have the mentality of business and nothing else so you cant really listen to pet store owners
pets: 1 res

male: bought around a cold day in march 2008. stubborn yet also helpful
(RIP) Churro: ill miss you... (5 yrs. old)

"be strong, be brave, and livestrong"-my dad
blackforces get you

Post Posted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 12:44 pm   

I have one of those reptile tanks and i have had mine filled all the way to the top for months.
3 turtles,
3 cats,
& fish.
emma

Post Posted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 4:23 pm   

That takes some guts! ^^^^
I build acrylic ATBAs.
Rubicon

Post Posted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 4:24 pm   

And luck. :D
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 2:29 pm   

Thanks for the replies and info - I agree with you all, I don't have the guts or the luck to keep a tank full of water that's labeled "do not fill with water".

I suspect that this is more wide spread than people realize - I'm a fine print reader. I always read the fine print, I know most people don't. Every Petco and Petsmart I've been to carries this "critter cage" brand name and I have already seen them listed on craigslist as "critter cage aquarium, no leaks".

Some people might have these, bought used, and not even know it and others may have bought them new and didn't ever see the warning.

Beware.

The worst part for me - the one I actually bought new for my son was a 20 long critter cage and I paid $89 - NOW, I know that I could have bought a 40 gallon breeder aquarium, a real one, for $109.

:oops:

Like everybody else, I live, I learn...
TurtleKeeper48

Post Posted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:19 pm   

Pet store workers tend to be idiots.

If something says not to fill it with water, then you shouldn't fill it with water. Water is a heavy, powerful force that wears away rocks.

I've encountered pet store staff who supervise the reptile area, but don't actually know how to properly handle the animals. So much stress comes from being crammed in a store, with kids screaming and banging on the glass, plus staff who don't even know what they are doing.
Spike - Egyptian mau mix, 8 years old
Phryne - Japanese bobtail, 9 months old
Hurricane - RES, 8 yo, 6 1/2 in. long
Typhoon - RES/Map hybrid, 8 yo, 7 in. long
Sadie - RES, 20 yo, 10 in. long
Sophie - Colombian red tail boa, 5 yo, 5 ft. long
theartbook35

Next

Return to Equipment Review and Discussion