Equipment Review and Discussion :: Water Change System with Integrated Tap Water Filter

Various accessories and equipment discussed here.

Post Posted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:03 pm   Re: Water Change System with Integrated Tap Water Filter

Has anyone had problems with the DuPont casing? I read that it leaks, even using tape on the threads. Filtrate makes one too, but I can't find any reviews for it.
MerryMenagerie

Post Posted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 9:43 pm   Re: Water Change System with Integrated Tap Water Filter

Could someone post a picture of their setup? I'm frustrated and I'm sure I'm doing this all wrong. For one thing, the python was $40. I don't really want to cut the tubing. I have extra filter tubing, so I'm using that on one side. However, it's bigger a wider diameter than the python. So trying to jam the python tubing over the adapter isn't really working. Then I think, is the filter tubing going to work with the sink adaptor, and how does that part connect to the tubing without the black piece at the end of the python?? Help, please!!
MerryMenagerie

Post Posted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:29 pm   Re: Water Change System with Integrated Tap Water Filter

You don't have to use a python. I think most of us use a similar device for water changes and already have one on hand. I think the black piece you're talking about is the hose connector.

So from the sink, you have the faucet adaptor, then the hose (black piece at the end) which goes the water filter using the barbs. You can remove the ends by twisting them off and pulling them out. You can reattach them when you're done.

As for the leaks, unless you have it permanently installed, I would not worry about it… maybe just place it where there won't be a problem if it leaks, like in a large bucket.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:44 am   Re: Water Change System with Integrated Tap Water Filter

Im still confused. If I take the black part off the end, so that I can attach python tubing to the barb (which I did, but it's difficult to get on the barb because the tubing diameter is very close to the barb size), then which part attaches to the sink? The other side of the python is the vacuum.

The other hose has a wider diameter...is the black connector supposed to go on this side to attach to the sink?
MerryMenagerie

Post Posted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:45 pm   Re: Water Change System with Integrated Tap Water Filter

It will only attach to your sink one way. I just used a cheap waterbed drain kit but they work the same. I will get a picture.
1 Male Mississippi Map/Mississippi
1 Female RES/Slidy.
1 DBT White Concentric Female/ Lucky
1 DBT Male/ Spots
(Housed in the same tank)

300 gallon indoor stock tank, FX6 & FX5 filters. Mega-Ray 100w UVB bulb.
Kansasslider

Post Posted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 3:59 pm   Re: Water Change System with Integrated Tap Water Filter

Wow, that is awesome, now if I can tie that permanently into the house plumbing, perfect.

How often will I have to change the carbon filter cartridge?
Starscream

Post Posted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:18 pm   Re: Water Change System with Integrated Tap Water Filter

This is a water bed drain kit. The top part attaches to your sink or hard line as in my case. The left side goes to the python . The bottom drains into the sink.
Attachments
2013-12-30 14.10.29.jpg
1 Female RES/Slidy.
1 DBT Male/ Spots

Kansasslider

Post Posted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:22 pm   Re: Water Change System with Integrated Tap Water Filter

I just bought a cheap Omni filter whole house filter from Menards then ran a pipe from my sink upstairs to the basement.I have 2valves because one runs to my home made python and the other to the water filter.
Attachments
2013-12-30 14.09.57.jpg
2013-12-30 14.09.40.jpg
1 Female RES/Slidy.
1 DBT Male/ Spots

Kansasslider

Post Posted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:34 pm   Re: Water Change System with Integrated Tap Water Filter

Thanks for the pics!
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 6:49 pm   Re: Water Change System with Integrated Tap Water Filter

Thank you! Figured that out, now moving on to the next problem...the tank is in our finished basement. We have a bathroom right next to the wall the tank is on. However the sink faucet is presenting an issue. The aerator does not unscrew or if it does, I have no idea how to get it out. It is completely inside the faucet. Even if I could get it out, the adaptor is too wide. So...now what? I could try it in the shower...we don't use that shower, so I could leave it attached, if it works.

Edited to add: I rushed to the hardware store and bouught an adapter that is male 3/4 by female 1/2...it fits in the green part of the python, and on the shower. Got everything attached, canister fills up...and leaks. Plus I failed to realize the tubing is only about a foot. So in order to fill the tank someone would need to hold the canister the entire time. That's an easy fix, I can buy longer tubing. The leaking is coming from the top of the filter. I have tightened it as much as I can. Giving up for tonight, and getting ready to have a Blue Moon, some dinner and watch a movie with my family. Happy New Year, everyone!
MerryMenagerie

Post Posted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:00 pm   Re: Water Change System with Integrated Tap Water Filter

Use some plumbers tape also known as Teflon tape on the threads of the filter. Should work great. Just remember to wrap it clockwise! Might also need a rubber gasket ? Happy New Year!!
1 Female RES/Slidy.
1 DBT Male/ Spots

Kansasslider

Post Posted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:47 am   Re: Water Change System with Integrated Tap Water Filter

I have not been able to make this work. When I have it set to bypass, the water goes through the python just fine. But when it fills up around the filter, it leaks through the lid, and does not come out through the tuning into the tank.
MerryMenagerie

Post Posted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 5:52 am   Re: Water Change System with Integrated Tap Water Filter

Are you saying the water filter leaks and no water flows through it? The lid should not leak. I would get a new one if the lid leaks. Are the hoses hooked up in the right flow direction? Pictures?
1 Female RES/Slidy.
1 DBT Male/ Spots

Kansasslider

Post Posted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:36 pm   Re: Water Change System with Integrated Tap Water Filter

@kansasslider: I never knew about the waterbed drain kit. That's a LOT cheaper than the python hookup. Thanks! And thanks for the pics.

I agree with what's been said. Either something is connected wrong or you have a defective filter canister if it's leaking by the lid.
VeipaCray

Post Posted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:45 pm   Re: Water Change System with Integrated Tap Water Filter

No problem. I had one laying around from years ago and when I got into turtles and seen the python for the first time I thought "all I need is a syphon I already have the other part" Cheaper than a python for sure. Hey Merry how's it coming with this. You have not replied. I would like to help out if I can.
1 Female RES/Slidy.
1 DBT Male/ Spots

Kansasslider

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment Review and Discussion