Page 1 of 1

6 inch RES what size tank?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 6:44 pm
by DOOMSTACHE
What is a minimum to good size tank for a 6 inch RES? Im getting a 55 gallon tank in the next couple of days i think but yeah. Basking areas can support a big turtle like that?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 7:21 pm
by missibsu
Minimum size is 10 gallons per inch of shell. That is straight length, not curved. It's also better to think ahead. If the turt is going to grow, why get a 60 gallon tank. If you can afford it go with something that will be a lifetime set up. Otherwise when it is time to upgrade you are going to have a 55 gallon just sitting around. It will save you money in the long run.

As for the basking area, some people use the zoo med basking docks, as do I, and I love it. I have heard of people saying that they won't support heavier turtles, but I have two turts at about 4 inches each and they get on it at the same time without problems. Mine is a size large. For other ideas you can browse the photo gallery, many people have created some neat ones on their own. If you decide to go that route, don't use materials that will harm your turt...like nails that will rust, etc.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 8:32 am
by steve
Is the RES a male or female? If its a male, you can probably get away using a 55 gallon a tank for a year, maybe two. If its a female, then I would plan ahead and try for a larger setup.

My large female RES didn't like the zoomed dock, so I had to make one. The zoomed wasn't that big either, so I'd look into missibsu's other suggestions for ideas.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 4:06 pm
by fishandcandy
If it's a female, try to find something bigger.
I just got a 60 gallon tank for my RES. He looks more and more male everyday, so it's probably going to be the last tank he gets.
Unless we move out of the desert and I can build the backyard pond I'm dreaming of.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 12:14 am
by DOOMSTACHE
Well its a male and i've recently rescued it and its in a 10 gallon (WHOA) tank. But yes i've talked to a friend today that collects tanks and he's going to sell me a 55 gallon tank for 50 bucks. For now that would be GREAT for him and i'll post pics immediately after i get it. But right after that im going to have to buy a bigger filter for the tank, also and right now im thinking about building a basking area on top of the tank. I have a question about that, though. How do they get to it? I've seen some pictures of some net things that kinda hang down but im not sure.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 12:22 am
by DOOMSTACHE
Oh and plus do you think i should put him in like a big rubbermade container thing temporarily? A friend told me that some people do that but im hoping that the 10 gallon filter will work hard on the filtering.