Equipment Review and Discussion :: Best Canister Filter?

Various accessories and equipment discussed here.

Post Posted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:39 pm   Best Canister Filter?

Hey All,

You guys are always so helpful I thought I'd get your feedback on filtration if you don't mind. As you may recall, I have Cecil, the thirty year+ RES growing girl. I took your advice about getting her a bigger tank and am getting one this weekend which has me thinking about filtration. To refresh: Right now she is in a 75 gallon but it's only filled to about 45. The reason for this is that it's a weird tank. Has a cutout on one side for media so I can't fill it all the way. This weekend I am getting her a true 75 gallon. One with no cutout on the side so I can fill it way up. This will create a challenge for basking but I'll figure that out. It'll be good for her to have more swim space. And I've seen the tank in person. It's nice and wide and longer too so she'll have plenty of room for turning around and swimming normally.

Anyway, in her current setup I'm using the Zoomed 511 canister filter. It's okay, not great. She's a messy girl so I usually have to do a water change every 1-2 weeks with this filter. So I'm just wondering if you guys have a recommendation for a filter for the larger setup I'm getting. With the larger volume it would be nice not to have to do water changes so often.

Thanks!
zana

Post Posted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:23 pm   Re: Best Canister Filter?

For me it took over 50 years in hobby and I found the Fluval FX6 !!! It's Great ! Large media capacity. Using it with 125 gallons water but can work for 75 gallons to. If needed could crank it down a little but could go two weeks between cleanings and be ok. Most say you need 3-4x's flow for a turtle and some even 5x's flow with large adults , so FX5 or FX6 would be great. Also any filter needs to be setup for a turtle not fish. My opinion the FX is the best !!!

See you going to put a full 75 gallons in it with a "ATBA or something else so that 30 year old girl can swim good an enjoy her old age? Did you look into stock tanks could get one 4x's bigger for the same price that of a glass tank? That is what I use to save money and get size !

Fluval : http://www.fluvalaquatics.com/ca/produc ... Um7s4WcFok

See media thread for good setup with turtles : viewtopic.php?f=9&t=30145

Note as far as water changes you should be doing at least a 20% change every week , no way out of that. Should never need a full water change unless you have a problem. Save all that "good" bacteria to help the water. This is to help keep water parameters where they need to be .
Sorry but the zoomed 511 is only for 60 fish gallons , way to small for what you Had ( 45 gallon water) , even smaller for that new tank (75 gallon water).

Any photos Piggley want to meet that girl ?

Oh , here is some other filters you can compare to (chart little old but can help): http://www.redearslider.com/filter_chart.html

Any thing under that 3-4x's flow for a turtle you will be cleaning every few days. Turtles are very messy as you know !

Got to go , a good rain ban coming in from TS Cindy now! Rain , rain more rain ... Piggley hasn't been able to go outside for days.
litefoot

Post Posted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:12 pm   Re: Best Canister Filter?

litefoot wrote:For me it took over 50 years in hobby and I found the Fluval FX6 !!! It's Great ! Large media capacity. Using it with 125 gallons water but can work for 75 gallons to. If needed could crank it down a little but could go two weeks between cleanings and be ok. Most say you need 3-4x's flow for a turtle and some even 5x's flow with large adults , so FX5 or FX6 would be great. Also any filter needs to be setup for a turtle not fish. My opinion the FX is the best !!!

See you going to put a full 75 gallons in it with a "ATBA or something else so that 30 year old girl can swim good an enjoy her old age? Did you look into stock tanks could get one 4x's bigger for the same price that of a glass tank? That is what I use to save money and get size !

Fluval : http://www.fluvalaquatics.com/ca/produc ... Um7s4WcFok

See media thread for good setup with turtles : viewtopic.php?f=9&t=30145

Note as far as water changes you should be doing at least a 20% change every week , no way out of that. Should never need a full water change unless you have a problem. Save all that "good" bacteria to help the water. This is to help keep water parameters where they need to be .
Sorry but the zoomed 511 is only for 60 fish gallons , way to small for what you Had ( 45 gallon water) , even smaller for that new tank (75 gallon water).

Any photos Piggley want to meet that girl ?

Oh , here is some other filters you can compare to (chart little old but can help): http://www.redearslider.com/filter_chart.html

Any thing under that 3-4x's flow for a turtle you will be cleaning every few days. Turtles are very messy as you know !

Got to go , a good rain ban coming in from TS Cindy now! Rain , rain more rain ... Piggley hasn't been able to go outside for days.

Thank you so much for all the information! Yep, my friend has a shop where she can cut plexiglass so I was going to ask her to fashion a tank topper and maybe use some astroturf or something on the ramp so my girl can get up on it. I did look into the stock tanks but the one thing I don't like about them is how they are black or green and not clear. That means Cecil would only be able to see her enclosure and nothing else. Right now she has a great view of the room and she can see me coming and going and I always talk to her and wave at her and stuff throughout the day. I would hate for her to feel cut off from the world, small as it is already.

I keep trying to attach pictures so you can see her but it keeps telling me my pictures are too big. :(

Anyway, thank you and good luck with all that rain!
zana

Post Posted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:01 pm   Re: Best Canister Filter?

Sounds like a good plan.

My Piggley likes it makes him feel as if in a pond , he just look's up to see everything. I made large basking areas high up to watch TV with me and my chair is right next to it so I can play with him. Stock tanks works for us , not for everyone. I dressed up the outside with bamboo for looks and this is a short video on a change Piggley wanted.
https://youtu.be/HdkcG4ECD1g

Cecil will love the extra swimming space.
litefoot

Return to Equipment Review and Discussion