Equipment Review and Discussion :: ZooMed Reptisun high output UVB lamps

Various accessories and equipment discussed here.

Post Posted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 11:43 pm   ZooMed Reptisun high output UVB lamps

UV Guide UK has just released their report regarding the issue of swollen eyes and the distance/position of the ZooMed Reptisun CFs.

Their special report can be found here: http://www.uvguide.co.uk/phototherapyphosphor.htm

Frances put together an incredibly intensive study on this and several of us were fortunate to contribute.

Thank you SpotsMama, Grey Goose, xsavingsaturdayx. Thanks DavidY for contacting ZooMed earlier and obtaining some PDFs. (If I forgot someone, please let me know).

Please follow these instructions carefully.
Reptisun 5.0 859K
www.redearslider.com/downloads/reptisun ... ctions.pdf

Reptisun 10.0 857K
www.redearslider.com/downloads/reptisun ... ctions.pdf

note: posts may be edited/deleted to preserve the discussion
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 7:41 am   

Oh finally some answers! Seeing those pictures brought back such awful memories of when i got one of those bulbs, it broke my heart to see turtley so miserable. I hope that the companies do something to adress this problem ASAP. Thanks to everybody who helped get that report out there!
Adrienne!
2.0 RES: Turtley and Samson
1.0 Lutino Cockatiel: Lilly
assorted fish, hermit crabs, bugs etc.
octpusgirl8

Post Posted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 2:02 pm   

Yay! I'm glad that this is finally being addressed by the manufacturers! I haven't read the whole writeup yet but I will. I'm curious to see what they found and what kind of responses they got from ZooMed. Thanks Steve and SpotsMama and everyone else! :D Nice work!
DavidY

Post Posted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 8:52 pm   

SpotsMama and Frances deserve all the credit. We're just glad to participate :)
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:06 pm   

Frances is the one to get all the credit. She is a real scientist and does beautiful work.
SpotsMama
SpotsMama
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:53 pm   

So is it safe to use these bulbs as long as the instructions are followed?

-Matthew
LocateCloseWith

Post Posted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 1:41 pm   

Yes, but you may want to have an additional burn-in period or keep careful watch of your turtle's/reptile's eyes during initial use.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 1:41 pm   

I've used them. If you use them, even as directed, and you notice your turtle having eye problems, discontinue using them and see if the problem clears up.
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 2:46 am   

Can anybody show me what the box looks like (u know i'm so dumb about this stuff still) and I DON'T want to buy one at all, I just don't want to take the chance...My guy has been through enough and I'm still learning!

I need a new UVB bulb and I was going to that that one that Nettle suggested (affordable). I don't think it's one of these.
1 Male RES, 16 yrs. "Krueger"
1 Female Central American Wood Turtle
2 Dogs
3 Cats
mzkitty23

Post Posted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 3:39 am   

The bulbs that people on here had problems with were reptisun compact fluorescents and reportedly people also had problems with zilla compact fluorescents. Apparently now some of our people have also had the problem with zilla's. It was also reported that a few bulbs from other manufacturers may have caused problems too.

The kind I don't think there have been any problems with are Repti Glo's. A good one is the 26 watt 5.0 compact fluorescent. Also, the tube fluorescents, including reptisun tube fluorescents, haven't been known to cause problems. A good tube fluorescent is the reptisun 5.0. The reptisun 10.0 is also good as long as you don't let it be too close to the turtle.

For larger tanks (50 gallon and up), a mercury vapor bulb (as opposed to a fluorescent) is a very good option. A good brand is a T Rex Active Heat 100 watt flood.
SpotsMama
SpotsMama
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 3:45 am   

Yeah, I'm one of the people who had probems with the reptisun 5.0 compact bulb, and I have switched to the MVB. I have to say, to me it's well worth the extra money I paid for the bulb to have the heat and UVB in the same bulb and not have to deal with two seperate lamps. Also Sy seems to like it, he's basking alot and he FINALLY looks like he is going to shed some shutes!!! So I think he's really getting more of the UVB benifits from the MVB than he was from the compact.
1.0.0 RES
1.0.0 Russian Tortoise
0.1.0 Eastern Box Turtle
1.0.0 Bearded Dragon
0.1.0 Leopard Gecko
1.0.0 Pyxie Frog
0.1.0 White's Tree Frog
0.1.2 Parakeets
1.3.0 Dogs
0.1.0 Cat
imderanged

Post Posted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:44 pm   

good to know! i think i won't get the MVB b/c i don't need heat in the summer b/c his tank is in a "sun room" and it stays warm for around 10 hours a day in there (like 87-90 on the top area of his tank) [I've maticulosly checked temps throughout the day]. So, I think I'll get the Repti-Glo...will the 5.0 be strong enough? He is in a 100 gallon tank, but that doesn't really matter does it? Since he needs to bask to get the benefit of the light? Or do I need the vapor bulb? He loves to bask, no problem at all with that.
2 Dogs
3 Cats
mzkitty23

Post Posted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 7:44 pm   

The 5.0 would be OK, especially if you supplemented it by taking him outside on some sunny days. Have the light over the basking area.

Can you make an outside enclosure for him?
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:44 pm   

yeah, i'm workin on one... :D
2 Dogs
3 Cats
mzkitty23

Post Posted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:30 pm   

So to be safe is this product ok to use:
ReptiSun 5.0 Fluorescent UVB lamp