Habitat - Indoor :: Can they fit?

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:00 pm   Can they fit?

Right now I have a 90 gallon tank with a Nicaraguan Slider and RES, both males (to save you the time: Nicaraguan males get 7-10 in long, mostly on the smaller side in captivity). I also have a few cichlids in there with them. I was wondering if anyone thinks I would have space for a male Pearl River Map turtle? I have been thinking about it but not sure on space. I also may have to get rid of one of them because they're getting a little older and a little more territorial as they're both males. I may donate one to my local zoo and make sure they get perfect care. Or just plain put them on Craigslist haha (of course I will make sure they have the proper equipment and if possible the experience. Thanks for the help! Also, sorry if I put this in the wrong forum, not really sure where it should go.
Ty K

Post Posted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 1:19 pm   Re: Can they fit?

Slider males will likely become aggressive, so just having 2 will be an issue eventually.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 2:26 pm   Re: Can they fit?

steve wrote:Slider males will likely become aggressive, so just having 2 will be an issue eventually.

Ok thanks. Any idea what to do with them? Another tank isn't an option but I do have a tiny little pond. Already a female in there. But they can't mate because the nicaraguan bit his tail off!! :? But the pond is also a little small for the size of her. Please give suggestions!
Ty K

Post Posted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 2:54 am   Re: Can they fit?

Get a larger tank and divide it. Why isn't another tank an option? If it's not enough room or not enough resources, then you need to reconsider how many you are keeping.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 3:26 am   Re: Can they fit?

It's because we already have 3 tanks and the family doesn't like them haha. I also got some false information on the nicaraguan. I was told they were even smaller than RES but that's not even close to true. So a 90 gallon would have been fine if they stayed smaller
Ty K

Post Posted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 9:05 pm   Re: Can they fit?

Both males are in the same tank?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 9:54 pm   Re: Can they fit?

Yes
Ty K

Post Posted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 3:57 am   Re: Can they fit?

Sounds like you're going to have your hands full regardless if you get another turtle or not.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:11 am   Re: Can they fit?

You already need to get rid of one yet you want to get another one? I would recommend you take care of the ones you have and not buy another turtle.
1 Male Mississippi Map/Mississippi
1 Female RES/Slidy.
1 DBT White Concentric Female/ Lucky
1 DBT Male/ Spots
(Housed in the same tank)

300 gallon indoor stock tank, FX6 & FX5 filters. Mega-Ray 100w UVB bulb.
Kansasslider

Post Posted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 11:22 am   Re: Can they fit?

The reason I thought it might work is because theyve been with eachother since the RES was the size of a quarter and the Nicaraguan was about 1.5 in. Also they have never been terribly agreesive towards eachother. The reason he but his tail was during feeding he thought it looked like their food
Ty K

Post Posted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 1:24 pm   Re: Can they fit?

It doesn't matter if they are from the same clutch and have always been together. I wish this were the case, I think we'd all have a few more turtles.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 3:11 am   Re: Can they fit?

Also, females can be aggressive towards each other as well.
1 F RES 9" (Kingler)
1 F Belize Slider 7" (Agamemnon)
My Youtube Channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/condorboy1/videos
Linus

Return to Habitat - Indoor