Online Links and Deals :: Zoo Med 40g Turtle Habitat Kit?

Found a great deal or something useful? Link us up! Do not solicit business here.

Post Posted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 3:42 pm   Zoo Med 40g Turtle Habitat Kit?

I noticed this kit was on sale right now. I know most of you say stay away from kits, but what do you think of the price of this one. Pricing out all the items seperately at pet store prices it seems like its a reasonable deal at this sale price..

What are your thoughts??

http://www.petsmart.com/reptile/habitat ... 3Dcategory

I know the filter would probably have to be upgraded, and that could happen with time. But other then that I think its a decent size tank for one small Painted turtle.
Midland Painted--Philbert--SIP :(
1-2 1/4" Mississippi Map Turtle(Male)--Atlas
1-2 1/2" Western Painted Turtle (male)--Titan
40 gallon tank
unclejoe

Post Posted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 4:10 pm   Re: Zoo Med 40g Turtle Habitat Kit?

I started with a similar kit with our turtle.

The glass is not as thick as a similar sized aquarium, presumably because it's not designed to be filled to the brim.

I'd wait for the dollar a gallon sale and get a real aquarium.
Tobi a RES born in 2012
1 dog, 1 teenager, 3 aquariums filled with fish, snails, shrimp and a bit of algae
ljapa

Post Posted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 4:17 pm   Re: Zoo Med 40g Turtle Habitat Kit?

ok good to know. They didn't even have one in our local store to look at..
40 gallon tank
unclejoe

Post Posted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 9:21 pm   Re: Zoo Med 40g Turtle Habitat Kit?

Zoo Med is not the best brand out there either. If this is marketed as a "turtle tank", it might have a big cut out on the side for a hanging filter which pretty much ruins a tank.

Tanks between 1-55 gallons, wait for the petco/petsmart $1 per gallon sale. 55-100 gallons, look for used ones on craigslist. They can also be found for about $1 per gallon.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 9:53 pm   Re: Zoo Med 40g Turtle Habitat Kit?

The write up says the kit comes with a Canister Filter.. Hard to tell from picture if there is any cut outs on the tank. I have yet to find a tank on CL for a dollar a gallon, people want crazy money for them atm.. Think we will just spend the money on an outdoor habitat for him for the warm months and worry about bigger tank come fall..
40 gallon tank
unclejoe

Post Posted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 11:16 pm   Re: Zoo Med 40g Turtle Habitat Kit?

The Zoo Med canister is pretty bad, it's good to stay away from it. Perhaps people are not in the cleaning mood during this season. Supposedly college graduation/summer recess time can have pretty good yields, though I can't imaging them having tanks larger than 50 gallons.

What about stock tanks?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 8:20 am   Re: Zoo Med 40g Turtle Habitat Kit?

Stock tanks, preformed ponds, we haven't decided yet. We personally like the idea of an indoor pond as well. But either way the 10 gallon is not gonna be big enough for him for much longer. I keep an eye out on CL, Or Pet smart has a 20 gallon long for $32 I may take a look at. I would prefer to get one big enough to house him as an adult, even in the event he is sick or needs to be quarantined be nice to have a 40 gallon for that. I think CL tanks are so much cause when people wanna get rid of them,They wanna get rid of everything, filter, food, stand, decorations and they wanna recoup money they have in it..
40 gallon tank
unclejoe

Post Posted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 11:26 am   Re: Zoo Med 40g Turtle Habitat Kit?

I've seen some nice setups with indoor stock tanks/preformed ponds. Definitely doable though some people don't like the reduced visibility. You're right about some CL tanks, I guess it doesn't hurt to keep looking. Maybe some alerts can be setup so you will be notified when something is available.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 7:44 pm   Re: Zoo Med 40g Turtle Habitat Kit?

My dream would be to set something up that has a glass or plexi glass front,, so you can still see the turtle or turtles swimming around underwater. But that would take a lot of research and planning and we aren't at that stage yet. But I have seen some really cool setups on google.
40 gallon tank
unclejoe

Post Posted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 5:46 pm   Re: Zoo Med 40g Turtle Habitat Kit?

Sounds like a plywood aquarium. I'm not sure of the costs that go into them, but many of those tanks are massive.
steve
Site Admin

Return to Online Links and Deals