Other Turtle Discussion :: RES kiosk

Non-care related topics here.

Post Posted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 2:28 pm   RES kiosk

Last night my bf and I went to Daytona Beach and walked around and came acrost a kiosk selling baby RES.

There had to be 40-50 of these little guys no more than an inch long. And then there was one biggin about 6 inches long. It was really neat to see it in there w/ all the little ones. Kinda wrong of it to be there because it was like king kong steping and walking all over the little ones. But it was neat to see. I've seen lots of pics of bigger ones but that was the first time that I have seen one in person and I was very impressed. Now I'm really excited and can't wait till my guys get that big.

Not to mention I think having a biggin in there was kinda like a warning to parents that had kids saying "mommy mommy I want a little turtle!". Mom takes on look at the biggin and says "no way I don't think so".
Nicole
Hide and Seek are almost 4.5" each
1 Bearded Dragon named Ben :)
kneecole

Post Posted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 3:40 pm   

Before and after thing huh? :D :D
STRAYKINGFISHER

Post Posted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 3:56 pm   

To me, if a kid wants a pet, they should be forced to stick with it. It was my idea to buy a turtle, and it's been me that is coughing out the money for supplies.
TexasJagsFan

Post Posted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 11:04 pm   

See that's a problem. They sell these turtles in malls and don't tell the people buying the proper way to care for them. Just feed 'em and put them in this little death bowl and they'll be fine. It's upsetting. Then parents want to buy these for their kids when kids really shouldn't be handling the turts in the first place. I reported the people here at my mall selling the turts. It's illegal to sell them here under 4 inches and they were definatly selling them at about 1 inch. I hope they get shut down.
Jen182

Post Posted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 11:38 pm   

Good, let us know what happens.
TexasJagsFan

Post Posted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 10:15 am   

They called me back today and said they were making sure that the people were making the "appropriate changes". Whatever that means.
Jen182

Post Posted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 3:09 pm   

Probably changing the law.
TexasJagsFan

Post Posted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 3:16 pm   

They can't change the law for just one state, its a federal law not to sell turtles under 4".. and that takes precedence over state law. They're just going to wiggle around the law like most other people do who sell them. Either give the turtles away with the sale of a death bowl.. or make them sign some paper saying its for scientific/educational purposes. Lots of way to do something illegal in a legal looking manner.

This site has some interesting info and states the law..
http://www.tortoise.org/general/4inch.html
Carol
cam722
Retired Mod

Return to Other Turtle Discussion