Other Turtle Discussion :: What was your turtle doing when you saw him/her for the ...

Non-care related topics here.

Post Posted: Fri May 16, 2008 9:59 pm   

Ok. I wasn't going to post here, but since basically EVERYONE else has, I guess I better. :)

First off, I used to hate animals. The only animals I had ever known were some stinky horses that our neighbors had, and a few dirty chickens. "Animals stink, and I don't like them." Well when I came to work in the office I work in now, they had a little betta, which I got the task of cleaning his tank.

We got this tiny little tank probably smaller than 10 gallons that we had 3 little frogs in. They were just ordinary frogs, but they were fun. They jumped all over the place, and were especially entertaining to the children. I didn't like them at first, just because I had decided I didn't like animals. :D But, I got to where I liked them.

One day my boss came to the office with this cute little turtle. He didn't know anything about them, so he emptied most all the water out of this tiny little tank and put Mr. Turtle in there. That's how he was when I came to work the next day. I'd never seen a turtle in real life before, so I was obviously fascinated, but I didn't think it was the neatest thing. I only liked frogs. :)

Well, it wasn't too long before I got to liking that silly little turtle. He was SOOO cute. No larger than a 50 cent piece and as energetic as can be. We got a float for him and put some water in his tank. Then we got a bulb to keep him warm. He got to were whenever I came into the room he'd come swimming over to glass, begging for food. I feed him every time I went through, because it was just SO cute to see this tiny little animal recognize me! :D

Anyway, my next turtles, Mrs. Turtle, and Baby Turtle(who died:(), were given to me by a friend. They were in a cooking pan with about a 1/2" of water. Mrs. Turtle was a little smaller than Mr. Turtle had grown to be, and Baby Turtle was about as big as Mr. Turtle was the first time I saw him. I said "Ohhhhh, they are SOOO cute! Are you sure you don't want to keep them?" "I am SOO tired of my children sliming in the fish tank!" was the reply. :D By this time we had a 60 gallon tank so we were happy as ever to have more turtles. ::

So, that's what it was like for me. By the way, I still don't know if I like mammal animals, but I do like fish type animals. There's another whole story about a few salamanders we had once. :)

Edit: Sorry it's SO long! I like to write as much as Kevin likes to take pictures. :wink:
Who ever said turtles were slow?
crackerlady2007

Post Posted: Sat May 17, 2008 2:31 am   

I've told this story before, but I don't think I ever posted it here!
My turtle was a SUPRIZE!!! Xmas gift. It was the day before xmas eve and Matt, a friend of mine and my husband's, was coming to pick me up from work so we could exchange gifts and celebrate the holiday togther. He came to my job early carrying one of those paper gift bags but he was holding it sideways. He said 'This is for you and Ray (my husband) Open it now'. I asked him if we should wait for Ray and he told me, 'No, it's sorta....PERISHABLE'....
I hadn't figured out what is in the package yet so I asked him 'do you want to just go over to my house and put it in the frige then?'...
The way he said 'NO' told me...maybe there is something LIVING in that bag...but, no..it could be, he wouldn't...
But before I had much time to really ponder it, Matt started pulling something out of the bag and I could see it was a small bright green critter keeper...OH GOD WHAT DID HE GET US???
and then I saw the little green turtle, maybe the size of a half dollar!
Oh my gosh!OMG A TURTLE!!!!!
so I took him out and carried him around the store showing my coworkers and customers the coolest XMAS gift I have ever gotten.
I live I NJ and they don't sell turtles here, so I asked him where he got it. he works in NYC so I thought he would say 'Chinatown' but actually ordered him on the internet from a website that does not have the greatest reputation on this forum! He had been shipped all the way from Florida to New Jersey! He told me that the company told him the baby was incubated for male. He already had a name. Matt had been caring for him for the last week since he had come in the mail, and he had named him 'Sylar' after the bad guy in the TV show 'Heroes'. I asked him how big 'Sylar' would get, but he wasn't sure...'4 inches maybe?' hmmm. Then Matt says, 'I didn't want him to be a burden so I got you this lightbulb (an incandesent daylight bulb) this platform (maybe 4-5 inches high) and a YEARS worth of food (in an unmarked deli container)'....'you have a tank right?'....'I have a ten gallon and I have a goldfish in it!'
Now, this was the day before x-mas eve at 9 pm....So Sylar had to live for 3 days in a little plastic tupperware. I tried to keep the water warm with a heat pad. I didn't even have a dome lamp the first night so we actually tried to focus some ambient light onto his platform with a mirror. it was pathetic. The day after Xmas I went to the petstore and blew all our Xmas money on turtle stuff. I've been in love ever since.
1.0.0 RES
1.0.0 Russian Tortoise
0.1.0 Eastern Box Turtle
1.0.0 Bearded Dragon
0.1.0 Leopard Gecko
1.0.0 Pyxie Frog
0.1.0 White's Tree Frog
0.1.2 Parakeets
1.3.0 Dogs
0.1.0 Cat
imderanged

Post Posted: Sat May 17, 2008 3:36 am   

mine was trying to survive in a 20 gallon tank with 50 other babies :(
1 RES
3 Dogs
1 Snake
Some Fish
& Some Snails
jtjordan

Post Posted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 6:18 pm   

When i first met morris she was sooo little and she was basking on a rock just chilling. She looked smaller then the rest of them and she was so adorable. When i first met orion he looked really sick. His shell was pyrmiding.(bad spelling:S) he couldnt swim at all. Morris taught him how to swim lol. He also shedded a ton. He was in a 5 gallon tank before i got him with less than an inch of water and had no idea what veggies were... They were just feeding him pellets. Hes adorable :)
Two RES : Morris And Orion
Mandyb

Post Posted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:34 am   

When I first saw Slash I walked in a room where the store kept all their tank animals, and when I walked in he was one of the only 4-5 swimming, and he was the smallest, so I figure I'd get this guy out of this 10 gallon tank with over 50 others and when I went to pick him up he kept getting away until finally, I got him and he went across my hand so fast I barely caught him before he would have fallen off to the floor. Ever since he has always done that. Except for when a lay on the trampoline with him, then he could be all the way on the other edge of the trampoline and come running to me!
1.0.0 RES-Slash
1.2.0 Cat-Abby/Cali/Nemo
0.1.0 Yorkie-Lucie
1.0.0 Jack Russell Terrier-Cooper
I have lots of ideas! Trouble is, most of them suck!
PcBuilder14

Post Posted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 3:51 am   

The first time I saw my turtle somebody basically handed him to me (barely 2 inches long) and asked if I wanted him. They had previously caughty him in a fishing net in some bayou more than 100 miles away and took him home. Well needless to say they couldnt take care of him and so I took the little guy in and gave him a life of luxury ^_^
Bladedvixen

Post Posted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:16 pm   

i'll try to make a long story short

my parents never let me and my sis get pets and i was really sad :(

then in form 2 (meaning this year) all the students in my class agreed to get a boy and girl turtles in an aquarium at school. they were babies.

they decided that at the end of the school they would make a ticket draw of who would take them.

i told mum that and i told her what would happen if my name came but the reply was hmm.

those 2 turtles died unfortantley. my friend got 3 more which where hers.

at the end of skul in may my friend asked who wanted the other 2 turtles cause she kept one.my other friend took the other and i took the other and it was VER :D i was soo happy he was really cute.

and the funny part is that (he is small) i took him home in the school van and when i open the door "mum we have a new member in the family"!! she wasn't so happy but we kept him and i really love him :D
► • [[:mrgreen: I ♥ Ver:D]] • ◄

♣ • [[I am owner of a 2 year old male turtle called Ver]] • ♣
yiziee

Post Posted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:17 pm   

i was sooooo happy that i finally had a pet and that was about a month and a half ago i got him on the 30th may :D and my friend told me he is already about 2 yrs old :)
► • [[:mrgreen: I ♥ Ver:D]] • ◄

♣ • [[I am owner of a 2 year old male turtle called Ver]] • ♣
yiziee

Post Posted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:51 am   

well i received raphael as an impromtu present from my lovely sister (she and her boyfriend ran a pet shop then).

the way she chose him through the pile was that she wanted to choose the runtiest one, in meaning the craziest/ liveliest one.
and there goes raphael running on top of all the other turtles like some kind of wild turtle on the loose haha

as for hulk, again my sister said i could have another one, but this time i chosehim

like any good and responsible pet owner, i chose the turtle that look the healthiest (and at the time, that meant the greenest haha)

so i took hulk who was greener that i can imagine. haha
-Gabe:D

1.0.1 RES - Raphael & Speedy Claxter

Egg Crate: (n.) turtle owner's best friend, (2) also known as light diffuser, (3) found in local hardware stores in the lighting section
Raphulk

Post Posted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:14 am   

I 1st saw my kame inside a mineral water bottle with no water at all. My brother was carrying her for me...she took a ride in motorcycle inside that half cut bottle.

poor girl...
My Baby Turtles:
Kame : My spoiled one (R.I.P)
Kroten : My beautiful RES
Papoe : My Emydura Schultzei (Pink Belly Short Necked Turtle)
Kurome : My Chinemys Revesii (Chinese Three Keeled Pond Turtle)
Underneath The Shell
Youtube
novroz

Post Posted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 9:52 pm   ~~~~~~~~~~~~

When I first got my turtle, it was in a plastic thing with 45 other baby turtles, I tried to choose one that wouldn't bite me.

Boba wouldn't eat in front of me for a long time until my brother's turtle died, mine started eating in front of which was weird.
ChocoTurtle

Post Posted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:13 pm   

Speedy was scrabbling to get out of his tiny box and peering all around. I adopted him from my manager's friend after his tank broke, so I got him while I was working. I was so excited that he stayed up with me at the cash until the end of my shift. :D

Then my mom was working as well, (she does tax returns) so we walked over after close, and it turned out she had a client still with her and the lady FREAKED! She saw him and screamed so I left and let him roam around the mall hallways.

Now he's the most spoiled pet in my family! Don't worry, I don't overfeed him and stuff like that, he's spoiled in the sense that everyone loves him times a billion. :)
---------
1 RES - Sneaky Sleepy Speedy
AerianaEve

Post Posted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 1:16 am   

well i got cosmo because he was the only turtle swimming around amongst the turtle tank. everyone else was hiding, cosmo was floating around and had the nicest looking face.

and then i got stella, i saw her (and about 15 other turtles) in a sealed tiny plastic container, i asked to see the turtles just so they could get some AIR!
well poor stella had been clawed in the eye and was flipped over, and i just had to save her! (plus i thought cosmo might like a friend...(found out later, he didn't!)
the turtles had just been born..literally, they all had remnants of a yolk sac!
1 yellow bellied slider-cosmo! (<2 inches)
1 florida red bellied cooter-stella! (1 inch)
1 yellow lab-sandy!
1 hedgehog-coco!
LeslieMW

Post Posted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 1:18 am   Re: What was your turtle doing when you saw him/her for the

When i first saw Screw he was in a 2 gal. bucket with about 45 other sliders, I wanted a baby that was healthy and without parasites so i did my little test by throwing a pellet in there, Screw immediately ate it so i knew he was the turtle for me.
2 RES Squirtle and Screw..
..Russian Tortoise Big Moe
ScrewZoo

Post Posted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:01 pm   

My turtle was the smallest turtle in the tank. Looking back, I should have researched more, as the tank conditions weren't good and the pet store was.... very shady.

The tank had three turtles, looked to be 35 gallons and had like 2 inches of water and two bricks, with a heat lamp and a UVA/B lamp. No filter....
Nin10doGC

PreviousNext

Return to Other Turtle Discussion