Other Turtle Discussion :: New Set Up

Non-care related topics here.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 9:48 am   New Set Up

I am in dream mode. I was out with my boyfriend this weekend and saw the aquarium of my dreams...not to mention that one of these days I will need it. It was a 220 gallon with stand and cover for 1,000 bucks. The whole set up is just about 3 inches shy of being taller than I am. I have one concern... I have two turts and they get along great now, but what if they don't in the future? They are each less than 2 inches at the moment. While one turt would be fine in a 220 gal tank, I can't afford that for both of them if I should have to seperate them. ( in terms of money or space ) I don't want to have to do too many upgrades either because I don't want the extra aquariums sitting around being wasted. So, should I risk the 220 gallon as a next step or up grade at lease one more time from my 30 galllon?
missibsu

Post Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 9:58 am   

I don't know what others may think, but 1000 for a tank and stand seems high.
This situation conflicts with alot of owners, such as me. In the future, if both turns out to be male, then you will definetly need a seperate setup. If they turn out to be a male and female, you can keep them together but seperate them if you don't want them to breed. Two females usually get along.
I would try to find a cheaper tank, if you do plan on getting a big one for just one setup. If you plan on getting a seperate tank, get one that is 120 gallons.
Good luck :)

27 Turtles. 6 Tortoises.
JessicaTS

Post Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 11:45 am   

I'm not sure on the price.. but another possibility could be that if you got a tank that large you could always put in a divider if you needed to separate them. They'd both still have a tank big enough for their individual needs and you wouldn't need to buy another tank.

I did a bit of research quickly on the price... allglass.com sells a 240 gallon tank for $575 and that's without the s/h and without the stand. So maybe the $1000 isn't that high of a price. I know a stand for my 75 gallon was going to cost me more than the tank it's self. Either way, I'd shop around a bit before I made that major of a purchase :)
Carol
cam722
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 11:50 am   

I knew that tanks that large existed, but I had never seen one with my own eyes, and well, like I said before, right now I am just dreaming.
Missi

2 RES, 1 cat, and a spoiled rotten pug.
missibsu

Post Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 12:09 pm   

Heck, if I were going to be dreaming up my ideal turtle enclosure, I'd be going for a HUGE pond.. one with a little island and all :)
Carol
cam722
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 2:32 pm   

I didn't know stands costed that much
My dad makes the shelves out of plain wood

27 Turtles. 6 Tortoises.
JessicaTS

Return to Other Turtle Discussion