Other Turtle Discussion :: RES hatchling size?

Non-care related topics here.

Post Posted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:27 am   RES hatchling size?

Alright, I've had two RES for about 6 months now and I'm crazy about turtles since then.
Right now I'm getting a hold of a 140 gallon tank for them to grow in (They are about 2.5 inches, btw).

Anyway, the point here is that I've being watching videos about turtles and I've seen a couple of baby turtles coming out of their eggs;
Then, just yesterday, I was at the pet store and saw some little guys in a tank, but they seem waaaaaay too small compared to the ones
in the videos, I mean, these guys were barely 0.80 of an inch!!! Not kidding.

Additional info: I live in Chihuahua, Mexico. There's no regulation here about buying/selling turtles, so I don't know if in the US they
somehow try to hatch them bigger to reach the 4" required sooner? I dunno. I'm going to buy a couple as soon as I get the big tank and pass
my current turtles to it, I'm afraid they could harm the little ones, so separate tanks seems like the best idea.

Here are some pictures, for the turtle lovers. (I'll go to the pet store this weekend and I'll bring you some little turtle's pics)

He is the first one. Was about 1.5 inches when I got him

First pic with the two of them. That's my fiancé trying to keep one of them in place for the family photo

You know, just hanging around

And this is me, carrying one of them just a few days ago. Big boy now

ok, That's it for today. Thank you for you attention and any info you can give me on hatchlings :)
Mxdem

Post Posted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:45 am   Re: RES hatchling size?

Are you sure they were res, could of been a different turtle species? Turtles can however hatch out smaller or bigger then the average size.
Instagram: Diamondbacks4Life
Diamondbacks4Life

Post Posted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:06 am   Re: RES hatchling size?

I'm sure they were RES. I cannot recall vividly to see the Red spots, but the Shell was definitely that of a RES and, BELIEVE ME, this place will never see a different kind of turtle, people won't buy them for more than 2 dollars
Mxdem

Post Posted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:12 am   Re: RES hatchling size?

I enjoyed your turtle picture. They are adorable.
RES female ~* Gamera
Russian tort ~* Tortuga
TortsNTurtles

Post Posted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:40 am   Re: RES hatchling size?

They look like they're growing a bit too fast, you might want to review their diets.
steve
Site Admin

Return to Other Turtle Discussion