Other Turtle Discussion :: Turtle likes to float around in the current from the filter

Non-care related topics here.

Post Posted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 2:59 am   Turtle likes to float around in the current from the filter

Hello! I just inherited a red eared slider from a deceased family member. He's still tiny - his shell is maybe 3 inches long. When I was given the little guy, he was in a small plastic carrier with dirt, it looked like a turtle litter box, and he had NO water. I'm surprised the poor thing is okay honestly!! Anyway, I now have him in a big aquarium with a basking island and a water filter. He frequently swims into the current created by the water filter and just sort of lets the current float him around in circles. Is this normal? Do I need to get a gentler filter? He can swim in and out of the current on his own so I'm not really worried about his safety, I was just wondering if I needed to get a smaller/gentler filter. Maybe he thinks it's fun!

Speaking of fun...will turtles play with any toys? I'm a dog person haha and I've never had a turtle before so please forgive me if that's a really silly question!

Thanks!
magpie9412

Post Posted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:43 am   Re: Turtle likes to float around in the current from the fil

Maybe he's just having fun? You can direct the output differently, but is the inlet power too strong for him? I think we've tried a few things but they seem to lose interest quickly.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:28 pm   Re: Turtle likes to float around in the current from the fil

No, the inlet power isn't too strong for him, he can swim out of the current if he wants to, and I've seen him swim up to the filter a few times and try to climb on it, but he can still swim away. I'm probably just worrying too much. As long as he can get himself out of the current I guess everything's okay, right?
magpie9412

Post Posted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 10:16 pm   Re: Turtle likes to float around in the current from the fil

Yes. My female RES likes to bite the nozzle when she thinks I'm late feeding her :roll:
steve
Site Admin

Return to Other Turtle Discussion