Box Turtle and Tortoise Discussion :: New Gulf Coast Box Turtle

A general forum for those with an interest in land-based turtles.

Post Posted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 7:11 pm   New Gulf Coast Box Turtle

HI,

As some of you know I have now 6 RES. I have just recently aquired a
Gulf Coast Box turtle. A customer came into Petsmart where I work and gave it to us. So I was the lucky one to take it home. Now, I do not know much about them but want to care for it properly. It is a hatchling proably about 6 days old now. If anyone can give me any tips on how to care for it I would appreciate it. I have been reading some of the post on here but just thought I would ask. Welcome the help.

Thanks
Mamalou
Anytime you see a turtle up on top of a fence post, you know he had some help.
- Alex Haley
The Pet Zoo: 2 RES(Lou + Baby Lou:no relation) 4 Dogs 3 Cats 1 Koi 11.5 (Shirley) 6 goldfish friends **2 new additions! greenie RES and greenie YBS!
MamaLou

Post Posted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 8:26 pm   

Unfortunately I don't know much about your specific type of box turtle and I'd hate to give you wrong advice, but I would like to beg you for some photos! I've never seen a hatchling boxie and I would love to see him!

I'm sure you've picked up on the basics from topics on here, but obviously any boxie is going to need a heat/uvb source, substrate to dig in, a water dish and hiding spots. I wish I could help more as far as temperatures and diet etc but I'll leave that to people with more specific experience.
Napoleon - Western Painted Turtle
Apollo - Eastern Box Turtle
Moxie - Painted Turtle Mutt
RIP Hercules

Katie

I heart my herpies!
Starchick

Post Posted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 8:37 pm   

I believe the florida and gulf coast have the same care requirements. Check this out

http://www.austinsturtlepage.com/Care/cs-flboxie.htm
The things that come to those who wait may be the things that were left by those who got there first - Steven Tyler
jenaero

Return to Box Turtle and Tortoise Discussion