Box Turtle and Tortoise Discussion :: Soft Shell?

A general forum for those with an interest in land-based turtles.

Post Posted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 5:41 pm   Soft Shell?

Ok, I was just lightly wiping some dift off his under side (plastron) and noticed the upper half was extermly soft/flexable so I stopped, is this normal. is this the hidge sort-a thing? 3-toed box turtles can shut them selfs right? if so when?

Sorry I'm really worried. And kind of have no idea what I'm talking about because I can't find to much information on the subject.
notoch351

Post Posted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:25 am   

I'm not sure. There are a few keepers here, I'm sure they will direct you with the correct info when they see this.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:39 am   

Is it the entire upper half that is soft? Or are you mistaking being able to move it? If you turn your turtle over, you will see a hinge not quite half way in the plastron. The shell should bend at that point, but nowhere else. The hinge runs from side to side between the front and back legs.

I don't know if that makes sense or not. It's kind of difficult to explain. I hope this helps.
The things that come to those who wait may be the things that were left by those who got there first - Steven Tyler
jenaero

Post Posted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:37 pm   

Yes, that makes sense. And thank you
I shouldn't have used the word soft its definitely just the hinge. I just never thought that it was almost 3 quarters of the underside I assumed it was long and thin and I wouldn’t be able to really move it. (Get what I’m saying?) Anyway, sorry for kind of over reacting and not really using my knowledge. :roll: No need to worry.

Quick question- when will he be able to fully retract in and shut himself? Or can he but I haven’t seen?
notoch351

Post Posted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:43 pm   

He probably can, you just haven't seen. My 3-toed sleeps with her shell shut and all tucked in. If I pick her up in the morning or at night when she's sleeping, it takes her a bit to come out of hiding. :)
http://chrisredearslider.blogspot.com/
1.0 Red Ear Slider-Squirt
37g-Dwarf Gourami/Peaceful Comm. tank
1.0 Axolotl-Axle
0.1 Dog-Leia
Chrisbarnett

Post Posted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:12 pm   

yeah same thing with my old hinge shell tortoise...when I first got him I didn't know he could do that and then watched him for a while and realized he could shut his shell pretty tight.
0.2.0 Canis lupus familiaris
1.0.0 Trachemys scripta elegans
1.0.0 Rhacodactylus ciliatus

---> www.briannashearusso.com <---
briannashea

Post Posted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:09 am   

I can't get mine to close up anymore. He's pretty brave with people. Sometimes I'll catch him sleeping like that tho.
The things that come to those who wait may be the things that were left by those who got there first - Steven Tyler
jenaero

Return to Box Turtle and Tortoise Discussion