Box Turtle and Tortoise Discussion :: might be considering a red footed Tortoise

A general forum for those with an interest in land-based turtles.

Post Posted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 11:25 am   might be considering a red footed Tortoise

There's a red footed tortoise that's been at the pet store for almost a year now, since I moved up here, and this tortoise has the greatest lovable personality I've seen. I also love the color of the tortoise, and I wouldn't even consider giving this girl a home because my living situation isn't exactly permanent, but one of the sales associates pointed out that she'd really like to see her go to a home that would apreciate her and since I already love turtles that I should give it some serious consideration. I feel bad for her because all of the other turtles get bought, but she gets over looked because she's full grown. (she's about 14" long on the carapace) I checked her out a little bit, and she looks very healthy, no shell issues, the beak looked good, no skin issues, just a turtle who needs a bigger enclosure and a loving home. I wouldn't be able to take her in for a little while, but if I did decide to take her into my care what are tips, tricks, and stuff I need to know about caring for a red footed tortoise. I have a RES named Sam, so that's my only exposure to turtle care.
Rosepruner

Post Posted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 3:53 pm   

The Redfoot tortoise comes from tropical forests. They need low light and high humidity, high 80's on one side of the enclosure and low 70's on the other side. This way they have the option to regulate their own temperature. When mine is inside, I keep him in a 77 gal. planted vivarium. I have tried the plastic tubs, and tortoise tables, but nothing held the humidity the way I needed it to. On top I have a screen cover with a hole on one side for the heat emitter, which the hide is under, and on the other side I have a long tube 10.0 UVB, which give low light and no heat. In the middle I put the water dish. I cover most of the top with clear plastic wrapping tape but leave some openings for air flow. The sides and back, and 6 in. across the front are covered with aquarium background cover. I water the plants twice a week and this holds the humidity in. When he comes out to eat, I spray him with warm water until he drips. He loves this and stretches his neck ....must be like it is raining for him. He gets two days of greens...escarole, spring mix, dandelion, etc. and two days of fruit...mango, melon, plum, figs, etc. and 1 day of protein...I used to give soaked dry cat food..low fat, when he was smaller, but now he is outside for the summer, and he gets worms, butter worms, etc. That's it. Hope this helps. I only clean the vivarium out in the Fall when I bring him back inside. Occasionally, I will take out his poop, if I find it before he eats it.
Here's Pio

Terry
Terryo

Return to Box Turtle and Tortoise Discussion