Hi! Introduce yourselves here. :: Hello everyone

Drop a post to say hi. Please ask care questions in the forums below.

Post Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 6:25 pm   Hello everyone

I bought a 6-inch girl RES a month ago for my three little boys, and I've fallen in love with her! She jumps around like a puppy when I come in the room, and even "speaks" to me. I've been reading the forum for a few weeks and can't thank you enough for your information. I've tried to follow your advice, and she seems to be doing well. Our (my :wink:) RES is named "Springvale" after a local park where my kids feed the pond turtles. Everyone I know cracks up that I care for this reptile so much, but at least you guys get it!
sharon in atlanta

Post Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 6:28 pm   

Welcome. Make yourself at home! we have cookies and soda over there on the counter. Feel free to use our plasma screen with the monkey channel :D
Elliott
ellman605

Post Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 6:31 pm   

Welcome to the forum... I understand how you feel. My mom and sister just look at me with that glazed over look in their eyes when I start talking about Koopa. LOL People who don't have a turtle just wouldn't get it. :)

Glad that you are finding all the info you need to keep your turtle happy and healthy. Do you have any pics? What's her set up like? :)
~~~Sonja~~~
sonyj

Post Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 7:35 pm   

Hi and welcome. :) What do you mean your turtle "speaks" to you ---is she making any sounds? (just checking)
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 8:10 pm   

Hi and Welcome to the forum.. :)

I know about that glazed look in peoples eyes. I even get it from others who have turtles, mostly because they don't take proper care of theirs.

My turtles look like they are trying to talk to me sometimes. It's just the movement of their mouth when they are doing the wall climb .. it's like they are begging both physically and verbally for food.. their mouth goes a mile a minute along with their legs.. haha.
Carol
cam722
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 9:53 pm   

Hi and Welcome,
LOL cam king does that to also, I am lucky ppl in my house hold love King and share what they see when I am not around woo hoo :)
1 RES (baby) Tortuga
I am Tortuga's slave :)
Az^FolkSinger

Post Posted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 12:38 pm   

Here's a pic of Springvale: (I'm just posting for Sharon in Atlanta :))

~~~Sonja~~~
sonyj

Post Posted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 1:37 pm   

She looks good.. :)

Just curious, but what size tank do you have and I'd raise the water level up to give her more swimming room.. Remember an RES is an aquatic turtle the more water the better, just not enough so that she can escape. They are GREAT climbers too :)
Carol
cam722
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 2:19 pm   

Here are answers to some of the questions I've gotten here and by private mail: Let's see where to start...

I got her from the internet and was expecting a smaller turtle, so the start up kit I had bought is only a 20 L and not big enough. We are moving, so I'm buying her a much bigger set up. She does have all the right lighting and heat, but I have to clean her tank and change her filter once a week. There is more water in there now, but I can only fill it halfway.

While little Springvale does have some huge nails, the vet assures me that she's a girl because of the tail shape and bottom shell. I'll put some pictures up soon and maybe you guys can take a vote.

She actually makes a sound only when I clean her tank or hold her. It's like a high-pitched short bark. She did arrive sick with an upper respiratory infection which is why she has been to the vet. She got antibiotics. She makes the sound whether sick or well and only makes it to me while LOOKING at me (very sweetly, I might add).

Also, thanks to Sonja for posting the pic!
Sharon
sharon in atlanta

Post Posted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 2:25 pm   

Nice-looking turtle. :) If she makes a sound when you pick her up and she sticks her head into her shell, it's likely the air being forced from her lungs to make room for the head (like a whooshing/hissing sound).
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 2:33 pm   

Sounds like you're doing a great job Sharon. I'd love to see pics of her.. we love them on here. I don't know, those nails sure do look like a male to me but I'll hold out my vote until we see the other pics.. :)
Carol
cam722
Retired Mod

Return to Hi! Introduce yourselves here.