Urgent Care :: RES with neurological damage!!!!

This is not a substitute for qualified and relevant veterinarian care.
Read this before you post a new topic here.

Post Posted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:47 am   

Hi everyone- Sorry I've been out of touch for a while, my father-in-law passed away last week. Taking care of a sick turt like MoMo is a lot of work!! We had to take her back to NY w/ us to be w/ our family during this ordeal cause I couldn't ask our normal pet-sitter to hand feed a turtle. But I do it gladly :o)
MoMo is pretty much in the same condition if not a little worse, she's still dry docked most of the time and sleeps a lot of the time- I think she's having a hard time flipping herself back over- she sleeps on her back a lot. I haven't had the money to take her back to the vet yet because of the funeral costs- hopefully next week or the week after we'll go back. I'm actually scared to go tho- I'm so afraid he'll say we should put her down because she's suffering. To me she seems pretty happy considering, but I guess you never know. She's eating really well tho- thanx for all the tips btw- I did find something she finds irresistible to feed her- shrimp!! If I give it to her w/ a few pellets she really goes for it (with a little help!)

So MoMo is still with us- hopefully for a good long time! It's weird tho, I keep getting calls from my family asking "how is my retarded turtle!" aawww

I'll let u guys know what happens when I take her to the vet again.

Thanks All...
Michelle & Shannon

3 RES: Morla, Munin, & MoMo
1 Eclectus Parrot: Artemis
1 Goldfish: The Lady of Shalott
4 Fancy Guppies: Godric Gryffindor, Salazar Slytherin, Rowena Ravenclaw and Helga Hufflepuff (yes they're the house colors!)
Ellielpn

Post Posted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 11:41 am   

Sorry to hear your turtle doesn't seem to be improving.

Don't let her "sleep on her back." When you see her in that position, turn her over---it's very hard for a turtle to breathe in that position, and air could be cut off. A healthy turtle can easily upright themselves if they tip over---yours either lacks the coordination and/or strength to do so. Help her.
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 8:21 pm   

Thanks- I do actually help her flip back- but I didn't know it could be hard for them to breathe like that! She always tries to flip back over but just sort of gives up after about 30 seconds and takes a nap on her back instead. no joke.

(RIP Helga Hufflepuff)
Michelle & Shannon

3 RES: Morla, Munin, & MoMo
1 Eclectus Parrot: Artemis
1 Goldfish: The Lady of Shalott
4 Fancy Guppies: Godric Gryffindor, Salazar Slytherin, Rowena Ravenclaw and Helga Hufflepuff (yes they're the house colors!)
Ellielpn

Post Posted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:26 am   

I'm so sorry to hear about you little guy. :-( it's so sad and my heart goes out to you. :-) The things that i've found out while on this site about the symptoms that your little guy is experiencing are as follows:

-Irregular swimming is often a serious sign of respiratory infection. Fluid build-up in the lungs impairs normal swimming ability. Irregular walking may occur due to the same reasons. Check for other symptoms, take basic measures and prepare for veterinary consultation. Make sure the water temperatures are correct and that your turtle is not exposed to cold drafts.
-These types of irregularities may also be due to a neurological condition or an ear abscess. This is a serious symptom that needs immediate attention. It can easily lead to drowning and other injuries.

( have you taken him to the vet an ruled out an ear abscess? You might not be able to tell just by looking at his head because it might not show.)

-Respiratory infections (RI) are common and deadly illnesses that affect many captive turtles. It is a contagious illness that can spread to other turtles and often requires medical attention. Improper basking and water temperatures as well as exposure to drafts and breezes greatly increase the chances of contracting RI. There are varying degrees of RI, including pneumonia, and the symptoms may also differ.

-The most obvious symptom that can signal RI is if a RES is listing. Listing refers to swimming in an irregular manner, such as swimming in circles, unevenly or lopsided and even swimming upside down. Listing is caused by fluid in the lungs; more specifically, if fluid exists in one lung or there is more fluid in one lung than the other. Your RES requires immediate veterinary assistance if they exhibit this symptom. They may have RI but not this symptom. The sooner that they are examined, the better the chance they can recover. They would likely be administered Baytril or another anti-infective. A vitamin injection, antibiotics and an x-ray may also be used or suggested.

-There are other possible symptoms that can signal RI, especially if they occur frequently. These may include breathing difficulties, coughing, sneezing, open mouth, yawning, wheezing, lethargy, loss of appetite, mucus from the nose (runny) or mouth and bubbling at the nose and mouth. If your RES exhibits any of these symptoms, then raising temperatures, quarantine and a water change would be the immediate actions to take. Ambient air temperature and water temperature should be raised 10 degrees F. Eliminate any drafts and cold air around the tank. Pneumonia may develop which in many cases is fatal. If your RES continues to exhibit a symptom or develops more, then consult with a qualified vet immediately.

(have you also ruled out RI with your vet? Symptoms may not show, so an X-ray to rule out RI and fluid in the lungs may be necessary.)

- since your turtle has had a lot of trauma because of the tail being bit off by another turtle, it might also have an infection from that same thing. Infections aren't always seen where the scratch or cute happened, and in his case, even if the tail area that was bit off looks to be healing, it might be an inner infection, one that you cannot detect just by looking at the area. With his tail being bit off it is possible that he might have Septicemic Cutaneous Ulcerative Disease. I know that is more associated with the shell, but it is possible. Have you had his blood tested to check and make sure everything is normal? All of his symptoms could be several different things combined... unfortunately, i think you might have to do a full work-up at the vet's in order to rule out everything. I know this will probably be costly, and i'm not sure what you have already had done at the vets, but if you really want this little guy to survive, i think a full work up at the vets would be your best bet. The way that his head is laying on his shell, might be a side affect from whatever he is suffering from. This also applies to him not wanting or being able to eat without lots of help from you. Every animal reacts differently when it is sick, and unfortunately, all of the symptoms he has means he need professional help. I do think that keeping him out of the water, except when feeding ( leave him in shallow water for just an hour or so a couple times a day) That way you don't have to worry about him drowning, because from that horrid, sad, disheartening video, it looks like if he is kept in water that he is fully submerged in, he will drown. :-( Also, make sure that the temp. of the container you are keeping him in ( the dry container) doesn't get too cold or too hot... don't put it anywhere close to drafts, etc. Other than that, helping him to eat by manually feeding him is going to be the only thing to help keep him alive. :-) I can tell you really care about this little guy and I wish you the best of luck. I just hope that the vet can do a full work up on him, bloodwork, X-ray, whatever it takes, and that he gets back to normal. ( if the other turtles aren't having problems, it seems like it wouldn't be anything to do with the conditions in the tank. Also, you will probably have to keep him separate from the others for a very long time. Seeing as they bit off his tail, they probably would pick on him again, every after he is better... You might even want to consider keeping him in a separate tank even after he gets better, indefinately. It might be better for him in the long run, since the other two seem to want to pick on him.

I hope you find the cause of all of this and that he re-cooperates completely. I wish you the best of luck! :-) My prayers are with you both. :-) Keep us posted on his progress. :-)
~Jeni~

RES- male- Squirt
Jack Russell Terrier- male- Bandit
blueace23

Post Posted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:34 am   

P.S. Sorry, i didn't realize it was a female, i know i said "little guy" and "he" a lot. i apologize.lol. :-)
~Jeni~

RES- male- Squirt
Jack Russell Terrier- male- Bandit
blueace23

Post Posted: Wed Mar 06, 2024 8:10 pm   Re: RES with neurological damage!!!!

I'm here for the same reason. My terrapin snaps for food but misses it totally. My hunch is that she has a vitamin A deficiency because I've battled for years to have her accept veges in her diet. I hope Momo made it. I've finally found some turtle pellets that she likes with vitamins in them and hoping for the best
ameedroid

Previous

Return to Urgent Care