Urgent Care :: Help! My turtles' shell color is fading

This is not a substitute for qualified and relevant veterinarian care.
Read this before you post a new topic here.

Post Posted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 10:52 am   

above u said that ur turtle had kind of a ''flake'' is it kind of like skin shedding off and it looks really gross kinda well what causes that mine is doing that too
~Kayla

3 Red Ear Sliders Squirt and Mr. Rubber Duckie,(ha ha i try to think of ''unusual'' and ''different'' names) and 2 dogs Montana and Jorja
kayla_2305

Post Posted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 11:31 am   Re: Help! My turtles' shell color is fading

mini wrote:I have 2 red ear sliders that is a few months old. I bought them 2 weeks ago. One is about 1.5 inches and the other one is 1.25 inches. I've put them into a 10 gallon tank with water tempreture about 84F (29C). I have a basking spot lamp for them to sun bath. recently, I found that their shell color started fading. their color used to be like dark green and shiny. but now, part of the shell color is become dull and only small part of the dark geen left on the shell. Other than the color, they seem quite healthy. They swim freely in the water and also sun bath under the spot lamp. And they eat the turtle food I feed them.
Big turtle seems to grow faster than small turtle and big turtle's shell color fade faster as well. Is it something normal when they grow or they are actually sick? Please help me! Thanks!

That's normal. My healthy baby is a fully-grown adult turtle & her shell is a lovely dark coppery color (shiny when in sunlight!). RES's start off as very green, but get more brownish as they age. As long as they get the right light/food/environment, they will be healthy & that is what's most important! :)
Kristin's Pond! Starring:

RES = "Sheba", 21+ yrs. old
African Clawed Frog = "Prog", 10 yrs old
& "Kristin" as Momma
industrial_girl_2000

Previous

Return to Urgent Care