Urgent Care :: Leg injury advice

This is not a substitute for qualified and relevant veterinarian care.
Read this before you post a new topic here.

Post Posted: Wed Jun 21, 2023 8:00 am   Leg injury advice

Hi all,

I have a 14 year old female red eared slider named Sugar and the poor thing has been having quite the year. It would seem that she has managed to injure her left front leg throughout her ordeal.

To provide a bit of context she always had issues with her eggs and so a few years back she had an ovariectomy. It seems that this was not fully successful as this year she started getting rather agitated and it was found that she is once again gravid.

I would like to clarify that she is receiving vet care for this, she already successfully passed 8 of her eggs, but we are not out of the woods yet as per last echo, her follicles are still swollen.

During her last batch, she was extremely agitated and it seems that despite our best efforts to keep her as safe as possible she managed to hurt her left front foot (she really didn't like being in the substrate container as she tried to constantly escape this and occasionally she did end up with this foot caught between the wall of the container and her shell). We only noticed the injury after we brought her home from the vet that she was not making full use of this leg. I checked her leg however this was not swollen and she didn't show a pain response when I touched it or extended it so I figured she may have just sprained it.

With time she did indeed start to use this leg seemingly fully, however when she has it in a relaxed state I do notice that she has a tendency to keep it at a rather weird angle and sometimes when she steps it she does not do so on the soles of her feet but rather is using the top of this (apologies, I do not know the proper term for it).

Regrettably, the vet who is treating her is out of town and her next appointment would be at the end of the month.

I have taken some pictures of her, but I can try to get better ones if required.

Here the angle is a bit more exaggerated as she has her foot in a resting state outside of the water (she is basking in direct sunlight with the door open).

Here she has it completely extended and does not show any discomfort by doing so. She also has a tendency to extend both her front legs in front of her while basking and once again she manages this without issues.

Additionally, she has no issues going up and down her ramp, and she is showing decent strength in the leg when picked up.

I am wondering if the odd angle and that she has a tendency to step not on her soles may be an indication of something more serious and it is something that should not wait until her next vet appointment at the end of the month?

I will also try to provide a video of her stepping weirdly as soon as I catch her doing it again.

Appreciate any insight you guys may have on this and happy to provide further details!
Repun

Post Posted: Wed Jun 21, 2023 11:51 am   Re: Leg injury advice

Sugar is a very pretty turtle! Without an X-ray, there's no way to tell extent of the injury and what should the course of action be. From the description, it does sound minor. How long has it been going on and does she have any issue swimming?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu Jun 22, 2023 7:50 am   Re: Leg injury advice

Hi Steve,

Thank you for replying!

The issue started a little over a week ago. I only noticed the odd stepping that she does but didn't think much of it as she has displayed the same behaviour following injections as well as previous hospitalizations, however, in those cases, it did disappear within a week or so.

She has no problem swimming around and is quite active (her appetite is also quite voracious), though she does use the top of her foot to push off the aquarium glass more frequently than her soles on this side. She has no issues with performing strokes though.

I managed to take a few better pictures while she was swimming around

Image Image

I also managed to get a small video of her stepping oddly and reverting back to normal (she had enough of basking and was returned to her enclosure following the video)

I'm guessing this time around she managed to hurt her leg more than before. I will definitely monitor her closely and next week I'll see if the vet has returned and try to see if I can get an appointment for her earlier just to be on the safe side.

Thank you so much!
Repun

Post Posted: Thu Jun 22, 2023 9:23 am   Re: Leg injury advice

She's definitely favoring it. Is that the same leg where she gets her injections?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Fri Jun 23, 2023 7:35 am   Re: Leg injury advice

I'm not quite sure this time around where she is receiving them as the owners are not allowed past the triage area.

When she had her ovariectomy (different doctor as we have moved since) while she was receiving the antibiotics and pain meds she did get these in her shoulder and following those injections she displayed the same "limping" behaviour. The doctor at the time reassured us that this was normal and will pass, which it indeed did after a couple of days.
Repun

Post Posted: Wed Aug 02, 2023 11:22 am   Re: Leg injury advice

Hi all,
Just wanted to return here with a resolution.

The vet indeed confirmed that the leg in question is the one in which she is receiving all her injections.
They did check the leg and nothing seems to be wrong with it so she was prescribed an anti-inflammatory treatment which seems to have solved the issue.

Thank you for the assistance!
Repun

Post Posted: Wed Aug 02, 2023 11:10 pm   Re: Leg injury advice

Wow, great to hear it was resolved! Thank for the update.
steve
Site Admin

Return to Urgent Care