Urgent Care :: New RES is sick

This is not a substitute for qualified and relevant veterinarian care.
Read this before you post a new topic here.

Post Posted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 9:46 pm   New RES is sick

Hi - I've been reading topics all over this forum trying to find answers to save "Fizzy". There has been some great info.

I moved his tank (not sure if it's a boy or girl) to a sunny window, bought a basking lamp, keep his tank clean, and have taken him outside to bask in the sun. Since I just cleaned the tank, I'm sure it will take a little bit to get it warm.

Fizzy seemed to respond nicely when we took him outside but still not a whole lot of movement. When he'd get too warm he'd move into the water but just float, nothing else. The water was just right and it was partly in the shade. Tried feeding him lettuce, shrimp, and Reptomin. He wasn't interested. We also have cuttlebone but am not going to cut it up if he's not interested in eating.

Now he is back inside and is still just sitting on top of the rock under the lamp. I don't see any signs that he is having trouble breathing. I move him to the water once in a while to make sure he is getting some moisture on his body and shell. He doesn't open his eyes except under water but I haven't put him completely under water since he was outside in which he went under on his own.

I'm really worried and don't want to lose this cute little guy. It's only the first day though that we've started this treatment. We did forget to buy a thermometer for the tank. There is plenty of water in it too.

Anyone have any more suggestions? I thought at first his environment was too cold and dark and this could've contributed to his inactivity. He's moved now and in a better spot with just about everything he could ask for except for plants (live or plastic?) to dive in and around which is coming next.

Please help. My little boy cried hard when we lost the other turtle after only 2 weeks. I sure don't want to break his heart again if I can help it.
Fizzy

Post Posted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 10:15 pm   

read on my freind...i did the same thing...thought i had the right setup and didn't...you need a basking light a uvb light for the basking area, and you should have 10 gallons per inch of your turtle....and before you put the turtle in the tank make sure you cycled it first......and you need to have heavy filtration. .... because red ears waste alot...a real lot....the more water the better from what i hear...your ph needs to be at 7....and your water temp 78....good luck my freind
gloveman

Post Posted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 10:28 pm   

Thanks for the info. I'll check it out. I'm sure the bulb is not a uvb bulb but a uva. We have a ten gallon tank filled up to 5 gallons for the turtle. Looks like we're getting a bigger tank!! And I don't have a test kit as of yet. I thought I had one though, I'll look for it tomorrow.
Fizzy

Post Posted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 10:41 pm   

Temperatures are very important. Get a thermometer as soon as you can to measure both the basking temp and the water temp. Water that is too cold will lead to Respiratory Infection (RI), especially in younger turtles.

Also, the tank should not be in front of a window. Sun shining in can overheat the tank and cause temperature spikes. Dramatic flucuations in temps can lead to illness as well.

Try reading here for basic care: http://www.redearslider.com/index_basic_care.html

And here for health issues: http://www.redearslider.com/index_health.html
~~~Sonja~~~
sonyj

Post Posted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 11:06 pm   

Your ph balance isn't as important for the turtles, but do worry about the temps. Also, you might want to consider a good water conditioner, especially if you have chlorine in your water.

Nothing compares to the sun when it comes to UVB, but if he's sick, then you may want to avoid transporting him in and out of his habitat. That can be stressful for him, and the change in temps (if any) will not help is illness. I would go ahead and get a UVB bulb for your set up.

Also, you mentioned upgrading. Keep in mind that he will grow, and the bigger you go now, the less you have to upgrade later.

If you don't notice any improvement by tomorrow, I would schedule an appt with a herp vet. RI (if that is what it is) can progress quickly. There is a sticky at the top of this forum with a link to herp vets, so you should find something in your area.
Missi

2 RES, 1 cat, and a spoiled rotten pug.
missibsu

Post Posted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 11:14 pm   

I just checked the temp of the water and it is too cool for him. It is 74.6 degrees. The basking temp is at 91.3. I don't know if the basking temp is right but I don't know how to get the water temp up with the heater we have. It's a probe heater.

The sun coming through the window isn't direct. It's enough though to where he can have enough light to make him happy. I'll send you a picture.
Fizzy

Post Posted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 11:32 pm   

I don't know much about the heater that you have, but the water temp does need to be raised. If it isn't doing the job, then you'll need to look into a different heater. 78 is good for a hatchling, but raising it some to 80-82 will help boost his immune system. The basking temp should be 10 degrees higher than the water temp.
Missi

missibsu

Post Posted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 11:55 pm   

Keeping a tank near a window may also expose your turtle to drafts which can make him sick. As mentioned above, maintain the water at a steady 82F and keep the basking temp 10 degrees warmer. Also, make sure you are measuring the basking temp accurately: place a rock approximately the size of your turtle onto the basking area and place the thermometer on it and read the measurement after a few minutes.

If its been only one day, you have no idea how long he's been like this. Try to get him to eat ASAP... try pellets soaked in tuna water, try bits of tuna or boiled white chicken meat. try small feeder fish like guppies or bloodworms/earthworms (cut up if necessary).

Also, offer him some privacy... observe from a distance if you can. He's in a whole new environment and won't like being picked up often and people tapping on the glass (it's very hard to resist...).
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 12:08 am   

OH thanks so much! I have good news too. He climbed into the water on his own a little while ago. He's swimming around, kind of erratically, but he's swimming. He'll stop, take a break and float, and then swim again. I put one pellet in there with some romaine. They are directly in front of his face and he acts like he's going to eat it then swims away.

I moved the basking lamp a bit so that it would warm up the water, it's up to 76.5 degrees now and he appears to be loving it. He is also rubbing his eyes or what appears to be rubbing his eyes. Maybe it's his nose but there is nothing coming out of his nose so I'm assuming it's his eyes.

I'm going to stick some tuna in there right now and a pellet soaked in tuna water. I think he needs the pellets especially since they have the vitamins they need, right?

And you're right, it is hard to resist that little cutie, I do want to pick him up all the time. I'll give him privacy though.
Fizzy

Post Posted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 12:23 am   

The suggestions I made are strictly to entice and encourage eating. It is not part of the regular diet, though they can be the occasional rare treat. A staple like Baby Reptomin is a good pellet to use... and he should only get the amount that will fit into his head (not including the neck) daily until he is about one year old.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 12:49 am   

OK, thanks. He seems to be doing much better, perhaps tomorrow will bring us even better news. I've done the tuna, pellet soaked in tuna water, shrimp, lettuce, I don't know what else to do. I'll leave him alone for a while now and perhaps he can relax and eat without me hovering over him like a mother hen worried about her chicks!!

I'm doing the exact same thing to Fizzy when my kids are sick, stay with them until I know they're feeling better!! Animals work differently than us humans, don't they!!

It seems to me that he'll be fine now. I put two pellets in the water, left a little tuna on the landing and a little shrimp. I hope that's not too much but I'm hoping he'll eat a little bit of it.

He came up on the landing for a little drying off now. Oops, take that back, I'm observing from a distance and he has jumped in the water for a little swim. He has now gone back to the basking place. The temp in the water has risen as well up to 77.3. This is encouraging as the lamp is also keeping his rock warm and it is at 87.
Fizzy

Post Posted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 12:50 am   

if you are lookin for an inexpensive way to upgrade to a bigger tank, keep in mind that it is perfectly fine to use a large rubbermaid container.. you can get a pretty big one at walmart for 10-20 bucks..
RES~Smokey
Green Cheek Conure~Shadow
a beta, and a 30 gallon aquarium
Jessica313

Post Posted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 8:54 am   

You can leave food on the basking dock, but your turtle will have to eat in the water. Also, do you have chlorine in your water? I think I mentioned getting a water conditioner before, but that could be the reason for rubbing his eyes, just a thought.
Missi

missibsu

Post Posted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 9:53 am   

Well, sadly, he didn't make like I thought he would. He stayed in the water it was warm at 80 degrees when we went to sleep last night and his dock was at 90. I suppose he was too far gone though and that might've explained the erratic swimming. I know some animals do crazy things before they pass on. At least he was warm when he left this world.

We are going to try it again though. We'll also get the Rubbermaid bin that you talked about and get it set-up before we get the other turtle so that it's warm and ready to play in. I like inexpensive.

Thanks everyone for all your help. It's been a great help and a learning experience for us. I'll be back introducing our new pets. I just don't know how to tell my little boy. I may have to pretend until we get the other one which will be today, if you know what I mean. I'll tell him when he's a teenager. Sigh. So we may have another Fizzy in the family. Take care.
Fizzy

Post Posted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 9:58 am   

You mentioned new pets...but I would recommend only getting one. Especially if you prefer inexpensive. There is always a risk that your turtles won't get along later in life and may have to be seperated. That means two basking lights (UVB and UVA), two heaters, two filters. Not to mention that you will be looking at at least 200 gallons of water. Just give it some thought.
Missi

missibsu

Return to Urgent Care