Urgent Care :: water too cold

This is not a substitute for qualified and relevant veterinarian care.
Read this before you post a new topic here.

Post Posted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 10:00 pm   water too cold

the light for my tank made the water a bit too warm. about 84 celcius. thats terrible. how do I make the water colder?
Vertigo

Post Posted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 10:12 pm   

my bad my bad

the water is too warm. its about 84 ferenheit lol, not celcius
Vertigo

Post Posted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 12:44 am   

i'm in the midst of a massive work crunch, like 14 hour days and NY is having some very hot weather and when i come home, the water is in the mid 80's.

i'm put the filter in a large plastic tub and asking family members to fill it with ice when i know it gets hottest during the day. they also take them the yard so the get alot more sun light.

when i'm finally done with work, i'll get a styrafoam tub together. gotta finish the basking area too.. and install an air conditioner... SIGH
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 11:58 am   

How big is your tank and how much water do you have in it? From what you said, it sounds like you have a smaller tank (10, 20 gallons?) with relatively little water in it in if the light is heating the water that much. If you do, adding more water (and a bigger tank) would help keep the temp from climbing as much or as quickly.

If you do have a higher water level, what wattage is the light, and how hot is it making the basking area?

If the basking area temp is OK with the light, you could try what I've been doing to help lower the water temp when it gets too warm: I've started filling some of the small plastic bottles from mineral water you can buy (Aquafina, Poland Springs, etc.) and freezing them. Then just add them to the tank to lower the temp. :) It's good to check the temp with a thermometer, especially if you have a smaller tank.
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Return to Urgent Care