General Care Discussion :: Shedding

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 11:20 am   Shedding

Here is another one of my posts. Really sorry for all of the questions, but since i'm new to this, i worry about every single thing. Okay, so here is my next question. How long does it take for a RES to shed, and what are the usual ages that they do it at? I did read the section on shedding, and can anyone just give me a little more information? Thank you!
*Slider*
Bruce-Hatchling 2 inches!
Betsy-Hatchling 1 inch!
(Their names might have to be switched!)
Slider

Post Posted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 1:44 pm   

I'm assuming you're talking about scutes...I think it depends on the growth rate more than anything (and this is affected by environmental conditions such as heat and diet). I had a turtle that shed scutes very quickly, almost one right after another, and I've had turtles where the shedding takes a much longer time. The smaller turts I have shed them more quickly than my largest RES, and this would make sense given that the rate of growth slows as a turtle ages.
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 2:05 pm   

Its not the scutes, its the skin. They are young, and only an inch.
*Slider*
Betsy-Hatchling 1 inch!
Slider

Post Posted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 4:16 pm   

Don't worry it's all normal when my turtle started sheding I started to freek out then I asked the people here and they said that it was just normal but to be sure what I did was watch him for a little while and he turned out all right how big and old is your turt?
buddys_my_turtle

Post Posted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 5:06 pm   

I don't know how old, i'm guessing about a half a year maybe. She's about an inch
*Slider*
Betsy-Hatchling 1 inch!
Slider

Post Posted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 1:02 pm   

They will shed skin as they grow, but normal shedding should not be excessive or continuous. If it is, it could be due to factors including overfeeding (too fast a growth), temps (water and basking) that are too hot, a high ammonia level in the water, or even fungus, which can sometimes mask as shedding.
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Return to General Care Discussion