General Care Discussion :: Red eared slider baby avoids UVB lamp

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:23 am   Red eared slider baby avoids UVB lamp

Hey!

I have a baby red eared slider that I got around 2 months back. He is very shy and is only ever active inside his tank. Whenever he is outside he will mostly just hide in his shell even if no one is interacting with him. Inside the tank however he is very active and eats normally.

Since I got him, he has a strange aversion to the uvb light. I understand that it's very important for a turtle, but even if I place him on the basking area, he will run away within 5 minutes. When left to his own, he partially comes on the dock (half body still in water). And eventually starts avoiding the light altogether by hiding in the shade underwater. My other turtle basks normally and even seems to enjoy it.

I'm not sure if I should forcefully make him bask, or leave him be.

My tank: a big porous rock for basking area, a submersible water heater, a uvb lamp (actually. Not sure if it's just uvb or UVA and uvb, the store owner at the aquarium said I should keep this lamp on for 3-4 hours a day and don't need any additional basking light but I'm not sure how knowledgeable he was)
Vardaansh1

Post Posted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:50 pm   Re: Red eared slider baby avoids UVB lamp

Where is he placed when out of the tank? Does he also avoid the basking lamp?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:58 pm   Re: Red eared slider baby avoids UVB lamp

Hi and welcome

Only two months let it be so to adjust to new home.
Lots of turtles feel more comfortable in the water/tank than out the tank that's normal.
Don't force it to do anything , it will adjust in it's own time.
Must be more sure on the light ! UVA or UVB or one that does both but cost more money and the placements / distance are very important. Read on box for each for proper distance then check the temps. Espically a baby needs both UVA and UVB over the basking area. Also for a baby needs water cosistent at 80* and basking area 10* above that so 90* . As far a what you were told on the time of light 3-4hrs a day … Get a timer and set both UVA /UVB for 10-12 hr's. That way it can bask when it wants / needs to. Off at night so it can sleep. The heat on basking area (UVA) is to entice the turtle to get under the specialty UVB bulb , reason for both to be over basking area.
For a "baby" keep it in a quiet room offer it hiding spots to feel more comfortable along with patience on your part and it will come around to you. Espically when it associates you as the food source. Work on the basking area may be to hard for it to get where it wants / needs to be and the temps too. Read all the stickies above each topic for more ideas.

What's it's name ?
litefoot

Post Posted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:41 pm   Re: Red eared slider baby avoids UVB lamp

steve wrote:Where is he placed when out of the tank? Does he also avoid the basking lamp?

I try to not place him out of the tank except during cleaning. Within the tank therr is a rock that acts like his basking area. Yes he avoids the basking lamp.
Vardaansh1

Post Posted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:48 pm   Re: Red eared slider baby avoids UVB lamp

litefoot wrote:Hi and welcome

Only two months let it be so to adjust to new home.
Lots of turtles feel more comfortable in the water/tank than out the tank that's normal.
Don't force it to do anything , it will adjust in it's own time.
Must be more sure on the light ! UVA or UVB or one that does both but cost more money and the placements / distance are very important. Read on box for each for proper distance then check the temps. Espically a baby needs both UVA and UVB over the basking area. Also for a baby needs water cosistent at 80* and basking area 10* above that so 90* . As far a what you were told on the time of light 3-4hrs a day … Get a timer and set both UVA /UVB for 10-12 hr's. That way it can bask when it wants / needs to. Off at night so it can sleep. The heat on basking area (UVA) is to entice the turtle to get under the specialty UVB bulb , reason for both to be over basking area.
For a "baby" keep it in a quiet room offer it hiding spots to feel more comfortable along with patience on your part and it will come around to you. Espically when it associates you as the food source. Work on the basking area may be to hard for it to get where it wants / needs to be and the temps too. Read all the stickies above each topic for more ideas.

What's it's name ?

His name is groot :)

He already sees me as a food source. Every time he sees me he starts begging and is comfortable enough to grab the food out of my hand. Ill check with the shop i bought the lamp from to see if its uva or uvb.
Since he avoids basking so much i was thinking of taking him out in the sun, but i dont want to stress him unnecessarily. At the same tome im worried that if he doesnt start basking, he might get sick
Vardaansh1

Post Posted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:54 pm   Re: Red eared slider baby avoids UVB lamp

Vardaansh1 wrote:Hey!

I have a baby red eared slider that I got around 2 months back. He is very shy and is only ever active inside his tank. Whenever he is outside he will mostly just hide in his shell even if no one is interacting with him. Inside the tank however he is very active and eats normally.

Since I got him, he has a strange aversion to the uvb light. I understand that it's very important for a turtle, but even if I place him on the basking area, he will run away within 5 minutes. When left to his own, he partially comes on the dock (half body still in water). And eventually starts avoiding the light altogether by hiding in the shade underwater. My other turtle basks normally and even seems to enjoy it.

I'm not sure if I should forcefully make him bask, or leave him be.

My tank: a big porous rock for basking area, a submersible water heater, a uvb lamp (actually. Not sure if it's just uvb or UVA and uvb, the store owner at the aquarium said I should keep this lamp on for 3-4 hours a day and don't need any additional basking light but I'm not sure how knowledgeable he was)

Just to clarify, there is the rock within the tank that acts like his basking area. The uv lamp points directly at this spot and he doesnt have to leave the tank at any point.
Vardaansh1

Post Posted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 3:47 pm   Re: Red eared slider baby avoids UVB lamp

A baby outside in grass??? Even baby turtles can climb and dig great , if you do keep a super eye on Groot , Myself would not . Maybe in a small container and still watch so Groot don't get overheated.

Any photo's of setup ? I would work on a different basking area or modify what you have, one that Groot would like to use , be creative. May not feel safe or comfortable on that rock. Also google basking areas and click on images for ideas. Turtles can be very picky on there wants.
litefoot

Post Posted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:04 pm   Re: Red eared slider baby avoids UVB lamp

litefoot wrote:A baby outside in grass??? Even baby turtles can climb and dig great , if you do keep a super eye on Groot , Myself would not . Maybe in a small container and still watch so Groot don't get overheated.

Any photo's of setup ? I would work on a different basking area or modify what you have, one that Groot would like to use , be creative. May not feel safe or comfortable on that rock. Also google basking areas and click on images for ideas. Turtles can be very picky on there wants.

There is no grass. I never take the baby turtle out of the tank unless absolutey necessary. Everything, including his basking area is within the tank.
My other turtle (rocket) is also in the same tank and he loves basking. Rocket runs right under the lamp the moment its turned on. Groot in the other hand only partially comes out. Ill share a photo of the basking spot.
Vardaansh1

Post Posted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 3:19 am   Re: Red eared slider baby avoids UVB lamp

Trying to figure out your first post ( whenever he is outside) as Steve asked (where is he placed out the tank) ?

How big is Rocket in size to Groot ? Rocket may be a little territorial saying this is my rock since he was in the tank longer ?
litefoot

Post Posted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:28 am   Re: Red eared slider baby avoids UVB lamp

litefoot wrote:Trying to figure out your first post ( whenever he is outside) as Steve asked (where is he placed out the tank) ?

How big is Rocket in size to Groot ? Rocket may be a little territorial saying this is my rock since he was in the tank longer ?

I only take him outside when im thoroughly cleaning the tank or im taking him to a vet. And at that time i put him in this transparent plastic tub. Only happens once or twice a month max.

Rocket is about the same size but is more outgoing than root, so you might be right. But now i have separated them into different tanks. Hopefully in time groot will realize that rocket is not there in the tank anymore and start basking on the rockp
Vardaansh1

Post Posted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:37 am   Re: Red eared slider baby avoids UVB lamp

How big is his tank? Do you have a picture of it? I think you might be making things complicated for yourself, which is normal when starting out.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:38 pm   Re: Red eared slider baby avoids UVB lamp

steve wrote:How big is his tank? Do you have a picture of it? I think you might be making things complicated for yourself, which is normal when starting out.

Here is the tank (the plastic container on the left was there only to keep the heater away from the turtle, and has now been removed)
Link if you cant view it: https://ibb.co/cBMUup

Here are groot(left) and rocket(right) on their way to the vet. As of now they are in separate tanks
Link if you cant view it: https://ibb.co/fytg79
Vardaansh1

Post Posted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 3:31 pm   Re: Red eared slider baby avoids UVB lamp

Nice guy's / girl's ?
You need to offer more adequate light for them. That yes is a "infrared" reptile basking light ( for "some" reptiles ) but only produces heat ! Not adequate for aquatic turtles , no "UVB". A must especially for baby turtles growing very fast. UVB type is a specialty bulb not a regular bulb.
Here's a video that shows three that produce both UVA & UVB. https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=UV ... ORM=VRDGAR

The middle of the road is the Solar Glo in price and does work ok. Price track to find best price depending on what part of the world you live in.

Baby turtles can swim good . If one falls on it's back may not be able to turn itself over in the shallow water. I would give at least 2" more of water or as much to still have your filter working. Then adjust the basking rock maybe on some kind of brick? Babies grow very fast you may want to start looking for something in the 40 gallon range and that filter in time also will be inadequate for them or you will be cleaning it every 5 days. Turtles especially if they turn out to be females will require very large home ! Only at about 4" when they become sexual mature will you or a Herp Vet be able to tell for sure 100% . If male and female you will need two tank for sure !

Tweak/ adjust what you have now and price shop for sales to save money. Even look at stock tanks ( 1/4 price of glass tanks ) to save money.

A heater shield will work great without taking up space ! Keep's them from burning there feet...

Read all the informational stickies above each topic for a better understanding on what's needed , will save you money , this hobby cost enough now a days to get started. Also look at the top of this page ( top header bar ) and go to forums main page for more great advice.
litefoot

Post Posted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:54 am   Re: Red eared slider baby avoids UVB lamp

I think you need to feed then a bit less, as the seams between scutes look they're growing too fast. I would also try a different bulb, maybe go with a regular incandescent to see how they bask. Any more info on the UV bulb? Brand, age, etc...
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:12 am   Re: Red eared slider baby avoids UVB lamp

litefoot wrote:Nice guy's / girl's ?
You need to offer more adequate light for them. That yes is a "infrared" reptile basking light ( for "some" reptiles ) but only produces heat ! Not adequate for aquatic turtles , no "UVB". A must especially for baby turtles growing very fast. UVB type is a specialty bulb not a regular bulb.
Here's a video that shows three that produce both UVA & UVB. https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=UV ... ORM=VRDGAR

The middle of the road is the Solar Glo in price and does work ok. Price track to find best price depending on what part of the world you live in.

Baby turtles can swim good . If one falls on it's back may not be able to turn itself over in the shallow water. I would give at least 2" more of water or as much to still have your filter working. Then adjust the basking rock maybe on some kind of brick? Babies grow very fast you may want to start looking for something in the 40 gallon range and that filter in time also will be inadequate for them or you will be cleaning it every 5 days. Turtles especially if they turn out to be females will require very large home ! Only at about 4" when they become sexual mature will you or a Herp Vet be able to tell for sure 100% . If male and female you will need two tank for sure !

Tweak/ adjust what you have now and price shop for sales to save money. Even look at stock tanks ( 1/4 price of glass tanks ) to save money.

A heater shield will work great without taking up space ! Keep's them from burning there feet...

Read all the informational stickies above each topic for a better understanding on what's needed , will save you money , this hobby cost enough now a days to get started. Also look at the top of this page ( top header bar ) and go to forums main page for more great advice.

Just ordered Solar glo: https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B00101 ... UTF8&psc=1

Ill buy a new tank soon with a new canister filter, just going to wait for Groot to grow a bit more first. Ill add a brick below the big rock so that i can add more water. Heater shield sounds good as well. Will the shield also protect groot from accidentally breaking it as well, considering the heater is made of glass?
Vardaansh1

Next

Return to General Care Discussion