General Care Discussion :: My Turtle only basks at night

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:25 am   My Turtle only basks at night

Hi guys, I'm new here! Just recently adopted a 5 inch male RES from a neighbour.

My turt is active and has an appetite, but I'm starting to get worried because I've never seen him bask much in the mornings. But come night time, he enjoys moving to his turtle topper to sleep in it. I'm worried that this is the only time he spends drying off his shell, and even then, the UVB lamp isn't turned on as it's night time.

It's probably my fault because I didn't get a heat lamp for him previously, in addition to his UVB lamp. But my country has an average temperature of 87 degrees year round, so I didn't think it was super important. But I just purchased a 70 Watt bulb yesterday to entice him to bask.

Do you think there's anything else I could do to attract my turt to bask in the mornings? Or should I leave him be and give him a few days to get used to the new heat lamp? I don't want to resort to turning on his lamps at night to accommodate his night time basking.

Thank you very much!
Lishan93

Post Posted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:53 pm   Re: My Turtle only basks at night

Welcome to the forum! It is possible there is a lot of activity near the tank in the morning/day, and he's just distracted (and possibly wanting food)?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:07 pm   Re: My Turtle only basks at night

Give him more time it's only been recently to his new habitat. Even juveniles and or young adults need time to adjust. Being your climate is warmer may not need to enhance the basking area heat as long as it's warmer than the water. Older turtles do not need as much heat as babies. The water can be 75* and they do well. Then basking area around 10* above water temp + or - a little. A timer set on for 12 hrs a day could help you and him. This allows your turtle to decide what he needs or wants and when he wants it . Off at night because like us he needs a good sleep too. As long as he swims around eats well and is active do not worry. In time as he adjust will show you his habit's more. Older turtles sometimes goes for days without basking a lot. Then others bask more , he knows better than we do on what he needs. Most can not watch a turtle 24/7 and may be drying off more than you see. Have a camcorder , set it up to watch when you're not around. My Piggley does not bask in the mornings. Once completely awake him and me too it's always time to play then eat. Then time for his turtle things he likes to do. After about three hours then he bask for a few then back to his turtle things. He bask differently all the time and for different amounts of time. Observe well and he will tell you what he wants and or needs. Yes he will train you as my Piggley has done with me. Thanks for doing your homework for your new kid you will be a great parent for him.
litefoot

Post Posted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:16 am   Re: My Turtle only basks at night

steve wrote:Welcome to the forum! It is possible there is a lot of activity near the tank in the morning/day, and he's just distracted (and possibly wanting food)?

Hi Steve! Yes his tank is in the living room so he may be distracted by my mum who is watching TV.

I'm not sure if it's because he hasn't really learnt that he needs to bask? In his old home he was kept in a small tank with shallow water and no lights. Plus he's 15 years old and only a mere 5 inches with some shell deformities..

Any thoughts on him sleeping on his basking platform at night? I've read that it's abnormal turt behaviour, but I feel like since the air temp (87) is higher than his water temp (80), he may enjoy sleeping on land more even though it's weird.
Lishan93

Post Posted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:21 am   Re: My Turtle only basks at night

litefoot wrote:Give him more time it's only been recently to his new habitat. Even juveniles and or young adults need time to adjust. Being your climate is warmer may not need to enhance the basking area heat as long as it's warmer than the water. Older turtles do not need as much heat as babies. The water can be 75* and they do well. Then basking area around 10* above water temp + or - a little. A timer set on for 12 hrs a day could help you and him. This allows your turtle to decide what he needs or wants and when he wants it . Off at night because like us he needs a good sleep too. As long as he swims around eats well and is active do not worry. In time as he adjust will show you his habit's more. Older turtles sometimes goes for days without basking a lot. Then others bask more , he knows better than we do on what he needs. Most can not watch a turtle 24/7 and may be drying off more than you see. Have a camcorder , set it up to watch when you're not around. My Piggley does not bask in the mornings. Once completely awake him and me too it's always time to play then eat. Then time for his turtle things he likes to do. After about three hours then he bask for a few then back to his turtle things. He bask differently all the time and for different amounts of time. Observe well and he will tell you what he wants and or needs. Yes he will train you as my Piggley has done with me. Thanks for doing your homework for your new kid you will be a great parent for him.

Thanks for the reply! I did not know that older turtles don't need as much heat as babies, so that's good to learn. :D I'm still kinda worried about him sleeping on the basking platform at night as I've read that abnormal sleeping habits are due to environmental factors. Could it be possible that he enjoys sleeping on land since the air temperature is warmer than his water temp? Thanks!
Lishan93

Post Posted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:17 am   Re: My Turtle only basks at night

Turtles when comfortable with it's home can and will sleep all over at different times. On land , deep under water on shallow areas etc...

What we can do is offer it the most natural habitat for a turtle with the correct needs met. It's only been recently with your turtle. On forums main page read all topics and informational stickies above post for help. Remember from my other post one can not watch 24/7 may be drying off / basking under UVB when you are not around so a camcorder to watch could help.

What are your waters parameters ? Is your tank cycled ? What's the cosistant water temp ? He may be trying to tell you something about the water ? Not all turtles are on the same time table to adjust to a new home and some may never adjust. Observe well and he will tell you what he wants by his actions , then you adjust. It's more about a turtle training us to do what it wants and needs than to make a tank fit in a room décor for it to be happy in it's habitat.

Then he may just like to sleep on land , all turtles are not the same. Thats not abnormal for " aquatic "turtles. If he feels safe up there that's a good thing even in a busy room . My stock tank is in the living room lots of activity. Piggley use to jump off basking area when we entered the room. Now stays up there when basking or sleeping no matter what's going on. But sometimes if woken up he just gives us " The Look " and goes back to sleep.

Any photo's of the setup , may be able to offer suggestions .
litefoot

Return to General Care Discussion