General Care Discussion :: White patch on nose

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 2:06 pm   White patch on nose

Hi again,

I recently had some issues with one of my YBS turtles being unable to lay eggs. Seems like that's passed for now (although I didn't see the eggs) and she's back to her usual behaviour.

I have noticed something odd that's a little concerning. When she is underwater I can see a small white patch on top of her nose (above the nostrils). It doesn't show up when she is out of water and I've been unable to snap a photo of it, because she swims to the surface whenever I get close.

It's been there for around a week now (maybe longer and I just didn't notice it).

I'm wondering if she just scratched her nose during one of her eggy escape attempts, but I'm not sure. I'm hoping it's not a fungal infection or something. Can anyone tell me what to look for?
TheMVB

Post Posted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 3:21 pm   Re: White patch on nose

If had eggs in the water she ate them before you saw them.

Are you sure this concern not skin shedding ? Will show up better in the water as you say but very hard to see when out the water.

If not this is were the habitat matters. All the lighting and water parameters in your 130 gallon must be correct to meet the turtles needs as it ages. If done correct a healthy turtle can fight off a lot of issues that may creep up.
A turtle with all the things a turtle like to do , investigate /hunt around like in the wild. Not only do they use there claws but there noses/head too when pushing and pulling thing up. Cuts and bruises happen but will heal fast and on there own with great water parameters and proper lighting. Smooth rock’s instead of sharp edge ones help in that area. Even a small area of fungus will be taken care of if the turtle has a large enough basking area and uses it. That is one with varying temps on it so the turtle can pick what he/she needs at the time.
Observe well to see if it get worst or not . No photo given so it’s up to you to observe for change. If as small as you say and habitat is perfect it will correct itself.
If you feel you must do something , a little ( very thin amount ) Neosporin could be used. Very thin layer , do not get it in the nostrils or eyes ! Observing is key !
litefoot

Return to General Care Discussion