General Care Discussion :: Musk Turtle Odd Behaviour

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Fri May 22, 2020 1:24 pm   Musk Turtle Odd Behaviour

Hi

My musk turtle has been acting strangely for a couple of weeks, he/she (I’ll come to that in a minute) is spending a lot of time out of the water either under the UVB lamp or on the other dock at the other end of the tank. Also there is a lot of scrabbling at the glass trying to escape when active.

Here’s a picture of a common position:

(In case the image doesn’t show the url is https://ibb.co/QP9jNkV)

Coming back to the question of he/she, I’ve found so much advice online I have no real clue on how best to tell. It only came up as when I discussed the behaviour with a local vet they suggested if it is indeed a female she could be gravid.

The water temp is 25deg C and I had it tested at a local reptile shop and it was ok, the nitrates were slightly high but it had been a week since a water change. He/she is eating some food but not as much as usual...

Any ideas please?
Droid44

Post Posted: Sat May 23, 2020 11:36 am   Re: Musk Turtle Odd Behaviour

How long have you had your turtle? If it's not obvious by now, I would lean towards female. Have you tried feeling for eggs? When your turtle wants out, is it different from begging? Does this behavior occur around the same time of day each time?
steve
Site Admin

Return to General Care Discussion