General Care Discussion :: RES attempting to burrow into tank floor?

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:17 pm   RES attempting to burrow into tank floor?

Hi, one of my red eared sliders (female, 3-4 years old at least), has been acting weirdly in the past few weeks. As you can see in the video I attached, she regularly (everyday I’ve seen her do this) tries to swim into/burrow into the glass bottom of the tank. According to the non forum part of redearedsliders.com, this may be because she has eggs? I dunno how, a vet checked both her and her tankmate ~two years ago and said they’re both female. Perhaps this is some ignorance on my part, maybe red eared sliders can lay eggs without a mate. Could that be the case, is there any other explanation, and what should I do?
[youtube]https://youtu.be/Z9ZmbPjsF2E[/youtube]
BreadySetGo

Post Posted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:57 pm   Re: RES attempting to burrow into tank floor?

If she's burrowing with her rear feet, it might be a nesting sign. She's most likely foraging for a snack. And yes, female RES can lay unfertilized eggs (like a chicken).

From the looks of the tails, both turtles could be males.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:47 am   Re: RES attempting to burrow into tank floor?

I should be checking the claws and tails to determine if they're male or female, right? Anything else? And what specific things should I be looking for?
BreadySetGo

Post Posted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:40 pm   Re: RES attempting to burrow into tank floor?

At that age shell size, length of nose, claw size and tail size should all be indicators. I'm just going by tail size in the video.
steve
Site Admin

Return to General Care Discussion