General Care Discussion :: RES sulking?

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Wed Aug 02, 2023 2:25 pm   RES sulking?

My RES that I've had for almost ten years seems to be a bit sulky.
Maybe the last week she's mostly sitting on the bottom of the tank. She's still eating and pooping, but not basking much. I checked the basking area temp and found that it was too hot so got a lower wattage bulb and it's now closer to 95°F. Water temp is ~75°F.

Thought boredom might be an issue so been offering more live prey, though there's always small fish in the tank, but at some point she seems to give up chasing them. Doesn't seem interested in plant material.

Since I had changed a bulb, I also decided to replace the wood on the basking area. With all this, I suspect me messing around as much might have annoyed her. Figure I should give her a few more days before getting really concerned, though I should do scheduled water change this weekend
Madness will reign.
Insanity

Post Posted: Wed Aug 02, 2023 11:13 pm   Re: RES sulking?

Does she keep her eyes closed when sulking? If you take her out of then tank, is she active or acts as usual? Either way, I would change the water. My turtles usually perk up after a water change, though it's not guaranteed. Water temp changes could also make them a bit more inactive.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu Aug 03, 2023 7:59 am   Re: RES sulking?

Eyes are open and she's alert. If I come over with mealworms or red worms, she readily eats them and then spends some time searching the tank for more. I did take her outside for direct sunlight last week and she behaved normally which is taking a few minutes to observe the surroundings and then walk around.
I'll do a water change this weekend and see if anything changes.
Madness will reign.
Insanity

Post Posted: Sat Aug 05, 2023 12:57 pm   Re: RES sulking?

Did a water change, using some RO from grocery fill station and tap water. She's been more active, spending time investigating the tank, though not yet fully on new basking area, but I figure that I've been in her space a lot the past week so give her some time.
Madness will reign.
Insanity

Post Posted: Sun Aug 06, 2023 6:14 am   Re: RES sulking?

I would maybe have the lights turn on earlier too. She might be basking when no one is around. Have you lured her up there with food?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sun Aug 06, 2023 7:18 pm   Re: RES sulking?

I suspect it was due to high nitrates in the water. I had family visiting and was out of town with them for a week. I recall adding water to the tank at what should have been a water change, but didn't want the assistance of three young kids, so didn't do an actual water change. Life happened afterwards so I was behind maybe two changes.
After replacing more water than what I usually do, she's back to basking tonight. Bad parenting on my part. Will need to monitor nitrates for a bit.
Ammonia was non-detect and nitrites at either low levels or non-detect, so nitrogen cycle still going, just got behind on water changes.
Madness will reign.
Insanity

Post Posted: Sun Aug 06, 2023 8:22 pm   Re: RES sulking?

Glad to hear it was a simple fix! How often do you do a water change?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sun Aug 06, 2023 8:46 pm   Re: RES sulking?

About monthly, though may go to every two weeks for a bit just to keep an eye on things. I think this is the first time that I've had a nitrates spike other than perhaps when initially getting the tank setup many years ago.
Madness will reign.
Insanity

Post Posted: Tue Aug 08, 2023 6:57 pm   Re: RES sulking?

She's spent a few hours on Sunday and Monday basking and probably a significant time today as well.
Madness will reign.
Insanity

Post Posted: Tue Aug 08, 2023 8:49 pm   Re: RES sulking?

Sounds like all is back to normal!
steve
Site Admin

Return to General Care Discussion