General Care Discussion :: Why do they fight than woo?

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 10, 2023 5:28 pm   Why do they fight than woo?

So my mom has two red-eared sliders, about 14 y/o? give or take a year or two. The thing is, sometimes during the day one will chase and try to bite the other (the other one flees and clings its body to its shell). So agressive behaviour. I always seperate them when this happens.

But than at night, they start doing courting behaviour to each other. I'm just so confused about this 180 they do.

Thanks for help/advice/comments :)
HopefulWorld2003

Post Posted: Thu Aug 10, 2023 9:59 pm   Re: Why do they fight than woo?

You will eventually need to permanently separate them.the fact that it's been 14 years is impressive. The aggressive behavior usually escalates, not subside.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Fri Aug 11, 2023 3:44 pm   Re: Why do they fight than woo?

steve wrote:You will eventually need to permanently separate them.the fact that it's been 14 years is impressive. The aggressive behavior usually escalates, not subside.

It's more uncommon than common with them. For example, it happened thrice last week... but not at all this week. And if it does happen, it's once a day at most. And (luckily) they've never injured each other.

The minute the lights go out though, they start doing the whole mating behaviour. I have even seen one go on top of the other and put his tail downwards. The impressive part is that they are both males. I'm just not quite sure why... 95% of the time they are just chilling together. They've even sunbathed together, taking turns climbing on top of each other (I've seen them do so).
HopefulWorld2003

Post Posted: Fri Aug 11, 2023 8:37 pm   Re: Why do they fight than woo?

I hope they continue to coexist peacefully, but I've never seen them mellow out.
steve
Site Admin

Return to General Care Discussion