Habitat - Indoor :: POST YOUR BASKING AREA PICTURES HERE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 10:36 pm   Re: POST YOUR BASKING AREA PICTURES HERE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Welcome to the forum! Just a letter (l) before the period if you're using imgur will give you a 640 pixel wide image, (h) for 1024 wide.

Pretty smart use of a crate, but add more water, adjust light distance and reduce the amount of rocks in there. Also might need to look into preventing escapes.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 10:48 pm   Re: POST YOUR BASKING AREA PICTURES HERE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

escapes? it has a terrarium cover over it with the filter wire wedging it its pretty snug, the bottom pic is of the old tank(15gal) theres way more water in the 37gal (top 2 pics) tank im looking into a way to hang the lamps at the moment
1 RES Name: Ruby Slider (Female)
thedorment

Post Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 10:52 pm   Re: POST YOUR BASKING AREA PICTURES HERE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[quote="steve"]Welcome to the forum! Just a letter (l) before the period if you're using imgur will give you a 640 pixel wide image, (h) for 1024 wide.

[thanks i fixed it!!!!!!
thedorment

Post Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 3:19 am   Re: POST YOUR BASKING AREA PICTURES HERE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh, didn't notice the wire :)
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 4:28 pm   Re: POST YOUR BASKING AREA PICTURES HERE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

well she like it thats all that matters to me i think ill pull it out at the next cleaning and cut the excess plastic from the sides leave the ends as supports

look into a mat or astro turf on top

thedorment

Post Posted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:14 am   Re: POST YOUR BASKING AREA PICTURES HERE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is Joppe, a Reeves turtle that i bought in 2008, and the year after that i moved away to start high school, so i left him with my parents since i could not bring him with me. :( Now, a few years later i finally had the room to have him live with me! I wanted to make sure he has everything he needs and a big enough tank, so i bought a used tank at a store and built this! The first few days he did not come up to bask and he was nervous but now he's cool and eats from your hand again like when he was a baby. And he basks for hours every day under his mega-ray bulb. My boyfriend and the other guy i live with thinks he's so cute and so much fun, he's a friendly little guy.

Every evening when his light turns off (i have a timer) he swims around like crazy and has so much fun :D At my parents' house he didn't have deep enough water to really swim and dive because his tank was to small. I read on a caresheet that Reeves don't want deep water because they're bad swimmers, and at least if its an adult turtle i think thats just not true!! He still digs around in the sand like he loves to do, but he can also swim and move around naturally. When he gets tired he just floats for a bit or grab hold of his cork ramp and hangs from it.

It's also really easy for him to get up to bask, the cork ramp is attached with a couple of strings so it lowers a bit when he puts his weight on it.

I glued two rocks together with silicone to form a "turtle cave" that i put at the bottom of the tank because i wanted him to have a hiding place. He actually sleeps in his cave all night and also digs out a little sleeping hole, so he comes out of the cave every morning with sand on his shell. So cute! In my experience a Reeves turtle has more digging/burrowing behaviour than a RES for example, so i think it's important that you give them some bottom material to play with.

Joppe in his basking spot. He likes the flat rock and sometimes he sits in the corner in the sand when it gets a bit too warm.
The sand is the kind you use on golf courses, i can recommend it because it was really clean, the water was clear directly after i put it in, it has a smooth texture and light colour as well.

The fake plant is exo-terra terrarium plant, didn't know if it was okay to put it in water without getting ruined but after almost a month it seems to be fine.

Best picture i could get of him. I know his shell looks awful, he's shedding like crazy to get rid of the bad bits so i expect that in a month or so his shell will be pretty again. The new growth looks great. He has not been getting enough UV or calcium, and way too much food (my dad shows his love for his pets through feeding them :roll: ) but now that he gets everything he needs he's becoming a happy turtle again :D Feels awesome that he will be cared for in a proper way for the rest of his life :)
Nellyw

Post Posted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 1:57 am   Re: POST YOUR BASKING AREA PICTURES HERE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nice job Nellyw, he looks like he has a smile in that last pic! As for Joppe's shell, you might want to examine it (and maybe do a cleaning) when it's taking a long time to shed.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 1:47 pm   Re: POST YOUR BASKING AREA PICTURES HERE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh wow. That is probably the best cheap and easy way to do a basking area I've seen. If I find anyone trying to do one themselves I'm suggesting that. Though he may end up jumping up and off the side of the tank from that middle bar. Izzy is constantly climbing up on the middle bar of mine.
1 Red Eared Slider- Izzy (female)
corey7144

Post Posted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 5:24 pm   Re: POST YOUR BASKING AREA PICTURES HERE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is the set-up I have at the moment, but the ramp itself keeps breaking. I guess my turtles might be too heavy for it. The first time it broke where it was zip-tied to the basking platform, when I had two rows of zip ties fully tightened. The second time it broke most of the way up the ramp before any of the zip ties and I had zip-tied the ramp differently so that it wasn't as rigidly attached.

Does anyone have any suggestions for the ramp? My turtles are 16 years old and are fairly heavy.

Should I use a different material? Or make the ramp of the same material but double it so it's stronger?

Thanks!
Attachments
IMG_1340.JPG
mattr

Post Posted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:00 am   Re: POST YOUR BASKING AREA PICTURES HERE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I would probably look into acrylic with some grip tape. Though doubling it does sound like it might work too.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 5:17 pm   Re: POST YOUR BASKING AREA PICTURES HERE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

my newest tank (thank you free craigs list ads) 80 gal, so i still have no utb area because my cascade 1200 (150 gal fish) is only good for 55gal turtle

thedorment

Post Posted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 7:50 am   Re: POST YOUR BASKING AREA PICTURES HERE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nice deal! I'd probably get rid of the rocks (big and small) and add some pool filter sand.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 6:14 pm   Re: POST YOUR BASKING AREA PICTURES HERE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

crate dock v2 so my first dock was in a 37 gal so i had to cut off the width so it tipped bt i had a suction cup on the side to stabalize it however in my 80gal the crate and suction cup are too far away so here is ver2 of the crate dock, notice the stability legs this time so far so good

thedorment

Post Posted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 9:00 pm   Re: POST YOUR BASKING AREA PICTURES HERE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pretty creative!
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 9:14 pm   Re: POST YOUR BASKING AREA PICTURES HERE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks
thedorment

PreviousNext

Return to Habitat - Indoor