Habitat - Indoor :: POST YOUR BASKING AREA PICTURES HERE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:06 pm   Re: POST YOUR BASKING AREA PICTURES HERE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hello all, here is a few snapshots of Gordo & Gorda'a basking area. You can see Gorda peaking in the background. She is much more shy than Gordo. Its only been ~60 days and not sure if I will keep the sand pit. Assumed it would be good if she laid eggs but right now, they dont use it much. Gordo goes in occasionally but then sticks his head out to keep an eye on everyone.
Attachments
Gordo basking.jpg
Gordo basking.jpg (82.45 KiB) Viewed 14537 times
basking area side view.jpg
basking area side view.jpg (92.82 KiB) Viewed 14537 times
basking area front view.jpg
basking area front view.jpg (90.9 KiB) Viewed 14537 times
turtlefrag

Post Posted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 2:12 am   Re: POST YOUR BASKING AREA PICTURES HERE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That setup looks gorgeous! I want more details about this!
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 2:42 am   Re: POST YOUR BASKING AREA PICTURES HERE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This was used as a salt walter frag tank....dimensions 48" x 36" 12". I got it used for $250....some sanding to clear the scratches was done.... I would love to have a new shiny one!
used seachem Black Flourite Sand...has a little sparkle to it! Good for plants if I can find any plants the turtles will leave alone :) So far Java moss is the only thing they semi-avoid but still testing
Found the white rock from Home depot....special ordered.
Got the spider wood from from Neptune Aquatics....great store in San Jose Ca... Does a great job protecting the fish as it gives them an escape. Bought two more pieces but need to soak to remove the tanins... will add in a week or so.
Fish are mollies, Platy, Sword, and tetra... havent lost one in about 40 days. eventually I am sure the turtles will get one but they are not actively pursuing them anymore...
The basking area is just PVC with a plexiglass top. Added some mesh on the ramp for them to climb easily. A little flat granite stone... and a sand pit I made from tap plastics. scrap pieces cost $5 and glued them together. Gordo likes it but Gorda is still shy. I have had Gordo for a couple of years, and adopted Gorda about three months ago. I may try some plastic plants in the sand pit for added hiding for them. I hope that Gorda will go up there to lay her eggs one day. I think they are both around ~4 yrs old.
Attachments
gordo basking in sand.jpg
gordo basking in sand.jpg (74.52 KiB) Viewed 14533 times
gordo posing.jpg
gordo posing.jpg (73.18 KiB) Viewed 14533 times
gorda hiding.jpg
gorda hiding.jpg (82.44 KiB) Viewed 14533 times
turtlefrag

Post Posted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 12:45 am   Re: POST YOUR BASKING AREA PICTURES HERE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pretty good price for an acrylic tank. If you have more pics / bigger ones, I'll post them on our facebook page if you'd like :)
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 1:13 am   Re: POST YOUR BASKING AREA PICTURES HERE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sure, what size pics do you want? I think I am limited on the size I can post here. Let me know what to do...
Attachments
Gordo&fish.jpg
turtlefrag

Post Posted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 7:10 pm   Re: POST YOUR BASKING AREA PICTURES HERE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You can e-mail me the full sized ones, I'll crop and edit where I have too. redearslider@gmail.com
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 1:23 am   Re: POST YOUR BASKING AREA PICTURES HERE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

okay, just sent some pics to the google account. Hope these work.
turtlefrag

Post Posted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 5:14 pm   Re: POST YOUR BASKING AREA PICTURES HERE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What kind of tank is that?! I need it. Lol.
Atticus -RES
Arianna -Rio Grande RES
Jean, Harley and Remy -DBT
#turtlemom
sirenlove

Post Posted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:35 pm   Re: POST YOUR BASKING AREA PICTURES HERE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's acrylic... valued for their clarity and less weight compared to glass but more suspect to scratches. They also cost a lot more than a comparable glass tank of the same size. As with large glass aquariums, look for used tanks unless you need very specific dimensions.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 3:54 am   Re: POST YOUR BASKING AREA PICTURES HERE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

well i pulled the trigger i bought the Big Apple Turtle Penthouse and the universal 3d backround ( for my 125g tank, need the upper tank inside measurements before i order that one )i will post pics when everything arrives and i set it up....spoiled brats my turtles are.... anyone using led lights?
125g habitat
FX6
1 RES 4" "GRUMPY" male
1 RES 3" "CIN" Male
1 ASN 4" "ROCKY" male ( AFRICAN SIDENECK )
1 ASN 4" "VENOM" MALE ( AFRICAN SIDENECK )
Rjs

Post Posted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 2:49 pm   Re: POST YOUR BASKING AREA PICTURES HERE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i really don't understand what custom made order means = the penthouse place says they are custom made per order....i should get it my way how i want it done plain and simple
Attachments
Screenshot_2016-02-09-12-46-42_resized.png
125g habitat
FX6
1 RES 4" "GRUMPY" male
1 RES 3" "CIN" Male
Rjs

Post Posted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 4:12 pm   Re: POST YOUR BASKING AREA PICTURES HERE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Looks good and straight forward to me. I wonder if acrylic would be a better way to go, a 125 on top on another is very heavy (even if empty).

LED lights are generally fine, you can stick the strip kind on the outside of the tank.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:48 am   Re: POST YOUR BASKING AREA PICTURES HERE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

steve wrote:Looks good and straight forward to me. I wonder if acrylic would be a better way to go, a 125 on top on another is very heavy (even if empty).

LED lights are generally fine, you can stick the strip kind on the outside of the tank.

steve that is a acrylic basking penthouse walls will be 3/8 acrylic and the basking is 3/4 or 1"

the basking area will be 25" 1/2 L x 18" W with a ramp 12" w x 12" L

i will be going with universal 3d back round on both tanks " ROCKY WALL "

I need to find something to cover the basking platform and ramp that will be safe for the water and turtles and match my theme
any ideas????

which led lights? needs to be water proof i am thinking gluing them to the bottom of the penthouse to allow light in the lower tank.....all my current lights will be somewhat blocked by the basking area
125g habitat
FX6
1 RES 4" "GRUMPY" male
1 RES 3" "CIN" Male
Rjs

Post Posted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 6:20 am   Re: POST YOUR BASKING AREA PICTURES HERE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh, OK. I had to go look up their product page. I wasn't aware that they made these themselves. Acrylic enclosures usually avoid those plastic rims for support and aesthetics. For the basking area, you can cover it with flat cork bark, the ramp is a little tricky since it looks like part of the bottom and you don't want to move or modify it. I usually like the rubbery shelf liners from IKEA. You can also look into bath tub anti slip grips, maybe they stick onto the grooves of the ramp.

I'm not familiar with underwater lights or the universal background. Is it this? https://www.universalrocks.com/aquarium ... ckgrounds/

For the LEDs, I was going to suggest outside of the tank, I don't think it needs to be on the inside.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 2:39 pm   Re: POST YOUR BASKING AREA PICTURES HERE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

steve wrote:Oh, OK. I had to go look up their product page. I wasn't aware that they made these themselves. Acrylic enclosures usually avoid those plastic rims for support and aesthetics. For the basking area, you can cover it with flat cork bark, the ramp is a little tricky since it looks like part of the bottom and you don't want to move or modify it. I usually like the rubbery shelf liners from IKEA. You can also look into bath tub anti slip grips, maybe they stick onto the grooves of the ramp.

I'm not familiar with underwater lights or the universal background. Is it this? https://www.universalrocks.com/aquarium ... ckgrounds/

For the LEDs, I was going to suggest outside of the tank, I don't think it needs to be on the inside.

yes steve that is the back round i am talking about......they finally okay-ed my modifications to the basking penthouse the reason i have the filter hoses going through the back acrylic glass is due to the screen top. i have been having a hard time finding the one i really want...for some reason no one will make one with the hinges going from left to right as you would find on smaller tanks which are not suitable for turtles...i can only find that screen with the hinge going from back to front....i could of made one out of wood but my tank is in my dinning room
125g habitat
FX6
1 RES 4" "GRUMPY" male
1 RES 3" "CIN" Male
Rjs

PreviousNext

Return to Habitat - Indoor