Habitat - Indoor :: Lighting-Need Help

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 9:34 am   Lighting-Need Help

Hey there. I'm new at this, so be nice. I've never posted anything anywhere, but I guess there's really nothing to it, huh?

Anyway, I have a Lighting question I need help with. I have a 90 Gallon tank that I’m just starting to setup and I have already purchased Zoo Med’s 100 watt basking spot bulb, but I haven’t gotten anything yet to cover the UVB spectrum. I’ve read so many good things about the Mega-Ray bulb, so I was planning on getting their 100 watt flood lamp. My concern is that I may be over doing it. Will two 100 watt bulbs be producing too much heat (and light) for a 90 gallon tank (that's 4 foot long)? I plan on having the bulbs on opposite ends of the tank, so they will be spread apart, but still?? What do you think? This is my first “real” Turtle Tank, so I need all the help and ideas I can get! Also, I read on the russiantortoise.org Web site that the Mega-Ray bulbs do NOT produce any UVA rays, just powerful UVB rays. Do you know if this is correct?
Many Thanks, JimboCraig

"Ever since I was a little boy, I always LOVED Turtles! I really have no idea why. I just do! My Wife calls me TurtleBoy and my family and friends constantly make fun of me! Oh well, who cares"
JimboCraig

Post Posted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 10:23 am   

First off.. Welcome :) Yeah being new to posting isn't as painful as you'd think :lol:

You can adjust the temperature of the basking area etc, by how far away the light is.. The basking area also needs heat as well as the UVB rays. UVB does not give off heat We recommend that you test the basking temperature by putting a thermometer on something that simulates your turtle's height so you can get a more accurate reading. You can use regular housebulbs for heat instead of buying the expensive heat lights, btw.. put your money into other things like good UVB bulbs.

Also, what type of turtle and size of turtle do you have? What is the rest of your setup like, filter/heating etc.

Again, Welcome to Turtle Talk :)
Carol
cam722
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 11:45 am   

Thanks for your quick reply Carol. As for as my Turtles and the rest of my setup goes.......I have been blessed with some very nice people who have given me quite a bit of my "stuff". My first turtle, a 4 1/2 inch RES, was given to me in July (as well as his entire 20 gallon tank setup). I just purchased a Concentric Diamondback Terrapin hatchling from Serpent's Den in PA which will be overnighted to me next Saturday. I know, I know......I'm taking a huge leap here, but I'm very determined to make it work. The hatchling is going to stay in the 20 gallon long by herself for the next 3 to 6 months before I put her in with the RES (in the 90 gallon), and then I'll just take it day by day from there. I got the 90 gallon tank and stand from my brother and 2 filters from my Dad (a Magnum 350 Pro Deluxe with the Bio-Wheel and a Eheim Pro-II 2028). The only things I actually had to buy was the Ebo-Jager Heater (250 watt) with Tronic heater guard, Coralife Turbo Twist U.V. Sterilizer, Titanium Grounding Probe, 100 pounds of 2-5 mm Crushed Coral, all the filter media, and other "turtle tank" supplies. Thank God for freebies, or my Wife would have kicked me out of the house by now!
Many Thanks, JimboCraig

"Ever since I was a little boy, I always LOVED Turtles! I really have no idea why. I just do! My Wife calls me TurtleBoy and my family and friends constantly make fun of me! Oh well, who cares"
JimboCraig

Post Posted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 11:56 am   

Wow, you've been very lucky!! Why can't I find family like that.. hahaha Sounds like you're doing everything right as far as I can see. Seems that you've done a lot of research and reading.. I LOVE seeing that.. :)

I'm not sure on the crushed coral .. someone else will have to comment on that.
Carol
cam722
Retired Mod

Return to Habitat - Indoor