Habitat - Outdoor :: In or out for the winter?

Ponds and other outdoor enclosures.

Post Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 10:08 pm   In or out for the winter?

My cousin found a RES in his yard 11 years ago. "Myrtle" lived in a 10 gallon aquarium for the last 6 years. We just built a beautiful 20 x 20 pond in our back yard. So Myrtle came to live with us now. She is loving life! She is very active, eating very well, and basking in the sun on rocks daily. My question, since she was indoors for the last 11 years, should we bring her in for the winter or see if she hibernates on her own?
The bottom of the pond is river rock, the center is 3 feet deep for the fish, and we will keep the waterfall running throughout the winter. I don't want anything to happen to her. The walls are too high for her to escape. Any help would be appreciated, thanks in advance.
~Brooke
bac211

Post Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 10:12 pm   

Where do you live?
Dylan ~17~, Brianna~14~ Ethan ~10~ Ava ~4~
flutterby

Post Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 11:48 pm   

It is very hard to hibernate captive turtles. I do not know if your pond meets those requirements but many have had negative results. Even if RES naturally hibernate in your area, I would not recommend it.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 11:51 pm   

takes a lot of know how to hibernate turtles, and it's not necessary. If you muc\k up on the conditions, the turt will prolly die
bradhart

Post Posted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 7:20 pm   

Where are you located? There are other requirements as well, but RES do not hibernate in river rock--they burrow in the mud and leaves of sandy bottomed ponds/lakes, etc.
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 9:06 pm   hi

Hey,I was deciding betwwen Myrtle and Vien,and I decided on Vien.I was thinking to take Vien out tommorrow,so she could get some UVB rays,but I don't know if I should,it might be too cold.I live in New Mexico though.So,what do guys think,she needs UVB rays,cuz i'm broke for now,and can't afford it.Maybe I could take a basking lamp outside,so she won't be cold?
vieniebebe

Post Posted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 9:27 pm   

you've asked this in so many places, let someone answer it in another place...
Elliott
ellman605

Post Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 8:37 pm   

What's the daytime temp where you are?
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 11:44 pm   

Your pond is definitely not set up to hibernate Myrtle outdoors. I suggest setting up a secondary habitat inside- it can be smaller than the pond.

My vet advised me to bring my turts in when the weather was below 50. So, on nights below 50, I bring them in, and on days below 50 they stay inside also. If the night was below 50 but the day is above 65 I take them outside. If the night was below 50 but the day was not above 65, I keep them inside for the day as well.

If you set up a secondary habitat inside, you can bring Myrtle in on cold nights and let her stay outside on warm days. THis is what I suggest. Make sure, however, that your pond has sun and she can bask on those warm days. She will need it.
I used to be a reptile expert. Now I'm just an old turtle lover.
reptilegrrl

Return to Habitat - Outdoor