Habitat - Outdoor :: Missing Turtle - advice

Ponds and other outdoor enclosures.

Post Posted: Thu May 20, 2010 11:47 pm   Missing Turtle - advice

I spent a lot time designing and building my perfect turtle pond about 8 months ago. We have 2 red eared sliders both about 7 in long and about 4 years old, so a decent size. We live in Houston Texas.
Today our worst fear came true - a missing turtle.
Searched everywhere all over the backyard - no sign.
I made the pond 'turtle escape proof' by building a brick layer around the pond about 6 in above water level, then I put a brick cap which extends 1 in around the whole pond. I did catch one turtle fully hanging onto the brick face on the weekend but then the 1 in brick 'lip' kept him from climbing out. I noticed the turtles were doing mating dances the past month during spring. So maybe one turtle was pregnant and found a way out to lay eggs? does anyone think they can climb out of my pond?
we do have racoons which live hang around our pond. But surely our turtles are too big to be plucked by racoons? the brick height surely prevents racoons from getting to the turltes right?
what do you all think? could a bird got to him? must be a huge bird right?

philby

Post Posted: Sat May 22, 2010 1:10 am   

Sorry to hear you're missing one. It's a beautiful pond and I'm not sure one can get out. Sometimes they get assistance or a boost from the other turtle. I would think raccoons pose a big threat and I would make them suspects.

Here are some tips, though the presence of predators might make it difficult:
http://www.redearslider.com/lost_turtle.html
steve
Site Admin

Return to Habitat - Outdoor