Habitat - Outdoor :: New outdoor pond and I have questions before I stock it

Ponds and other outdoor enclosures.

Post Posted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 9:56 pm   New outdoor pond and I have questions before I stock it

I have constructed a new pond,1800 sq ft total, (1400 ft is 4ft deep and 400 ft is 1 foot and suitable for fish to spawn in). My goal is to make this habitat as natural as possible. Currently I have bluegill in the pond and have bass, catfish and bullfrog polywogs on order. Would it be feasible to introduce several RES and maybe 1 snapping turtle into this habitat. I would like any and all input that anybody would have.

Click on the link below to view the pond pics. Thanks

http://share.shutterfly.com/action/welc ... Nmzhm5YuaA
kamick
kamick

Post Posted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 10:38 pm   

I couldn't view the pics but I'll throw my 2 cents in anyway.

Add turtles if you want, just keep in mind they'll eat anything that moves. I've heard keeping snappers with other types of turtles, or even other snappers for that matter, is not a good idea because of aggression. If you're willing to lose a few fish in the process, then go for it but ditch the frogs/tadpoles. Some frogs can be toxic if eaten.
The things that come to those who wait may be the things that were left by those who got there first - Steven Tyler
jenaero

Post Posted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 12:59 am   

My goal is to have a pond ecosystem as close to the real thing as possible. I figured the aquatic life would develop a food chain of sorts and with time it would balance out. I've figured out how many fish to stalk it with. Do you have any idea how many RES woud be appropriate for a pond this size. I plan on starting with 12 bass, 24 catfish, 30 bluegill, 24 bullfrog tadpoles and 100 flathead minnows along with mosquito fish. I am still up in the air on the snapping turtle. I think maybe even one might be too much. Was thinking 12 RES. In the wild they tend to hang out in family groups. Was thinking to get them as young as possible so they would adapt to the pond as their own. Any thoughts?
kamick
kamick

Post Posted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 9:00 am   

I've always read and heard that in the wild, RES are more solitary creatures, only coming together to mate usually. They like their space and each has their own home range. Having too many in one place isn't a great idea. And considering how large they grow when full grown, I'd go with less if you should want multiple RES.
~~~Sonja~~~
sonyj

Post Posted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 10:07 am   

Now that I can see the pics, I have to say..WOW! :shock: I'm sure a dozen res would be happy there!
The things that come to those who wait may be the things that were left by those who got there first - Steven Tyler
jenaero

Post Posted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 1:36 pm   

Wow!!! Those turtles got more square footage than my house. Ok I don't want to hear any complaints from my wife about me going all out on our turtle tank anymore. :D
Spookster

Post Posted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 2:50 pm   

Lucky, lucky turtles! :)
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 3:12 pm   

insane setup i am very impressed
cobbcustomz

Post Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 10:45 am   

W O W What a nice pond!!! You did a wonderful job!!
Turtle Mom

Post Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:41 pm   

the pond is super! But for RES you'll need to fence it in. They're great climbers and when big , will get up and walk right out of there.
I'm gonna build a pond too someday. But for now its the kiddie pool on sunny days for my 5 RES.
5sliders

Post Posted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 7:49 pm   

Nice job. I want to build someting about half that size in my back yard. Can you tell me roughly how you did it? Did you pour concrete in a wood frame?
Because i was gonna build something smaller i was thinking of building a sump/filtration system. Is yours just a stagnant pond or do you circulate it.
staman

Post Posted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 8:07 pm   

WOW

It looks beautiful!! Keep us updated!!
Nicole
Hide and Seek are almost 4.5" each
1 Bearded Dragon named Ben :)
kneecole

Post Posted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 5:48 pm   

Ive been reading about pond liners....
staman

Post Posted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 9:48 pm   

Pond liners sound like an option...
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 12:41 pm   

WOW! Wanna build that for me in my backayard??

I would go with 6 of any one pond species, possibly a dozen could live in that. No snappers. They'll eat your fishies up and might eat the RES.
Well the RES would too but they may keep the populations down.
Buslady of SoCal
1.1.0 Rhinoclemmys Pulchrrima Manni: Donatello, Jessie, Steve, Leo, Bender + 2 more eggs to hatch
2.2.0 Trachemys Scripta Elegans: Mike,Raph; For adopton: Tokka, Casey
1.0.0 Ninjemys Chelonia Raffaello: Raphael ;-)
Buslady

Return to Habitat - Outdoor