Habitat - Outdoor :: "Turtle Lagoon" for sunlight?

Ponds and other outdoor enclosures.

Post Posted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 4:33 pm   "Turtle Lagoon" for sunlight?

I live in South Florida, so I am able to give my sliders the UVB rays they needs via the sunlight. However, I'm not too "handy" like, I can't just get some wood and create a little enclosure for them on the back porch.

Anyways, I was wondering if it would be alright if I stuck them in their "Turtle Lagoon" or death bowl as some people like to call it. Now I don't intend on just putting them back there and going back inside, I'll be outside watching them to make sure no predators creep up..

And I can give them some shade too, I know direct sunlight for a few hours isn't good.. I know about all the precautions.. I just want to know if it will be alright to put the turts outside in the lagoon for a few hours a week.
SlidersRCool

Post Posted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 6:12 pm   

I wouldn't. You'll need to be creative here... remember many containers retain heat and you don't want it to heat up. Appropriate shade wouldn't be enough if this received any direct sunlight.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 6:43 pm   

kiddy pools work well :)
Elliott
ellman605

Post Posted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 10:16 pm   

There's a great pic of a kiddie pool set-up in the photo gallery by tinyslider or tinyslider2. If you do a search through there you'll find it. It was close to the end of summer or early fall if I remember correctly. :)
~~~Sonja~~~
sonyj

Post Posted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 8:15 pm   

You could just get a Rubbermaid container or something similar (the Walmart near me has a clearance on them, you might try there for one). The problem with the container you have is that it holds so little water, that it will heat up really quickly.

Don't put your turtle in a glass tank either, the glass will magnify the heat and the water will get too warm very quickly.
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Return to Habitat - Outdoor