Habitat - Outdoor :: Outdoor Turtle not basking a lot

Ponds and other outdoor enclosures.

Post Posted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:05 pm   Outdoor Turtle not basking a lot

Hey folks,

I currently have two RES that are housed outside in my Koi/Turtle Pond. It has good/excellent filtration and is aprox 4500gallons. I have created several area for the RES to bask. One of the turtles basks frequently and for long periods of time. Doing so in several locations within the pond.

One of my RES does not bask frequently. I have seen her do it occasionally but she is so skittish she bails into the water if I get within 20 feet. It has not been that warm which may be contributing to the basking, however the other turtles still manages to do, and it not worried about my presence at all. It is possible to RES that doesn't bask is doing it while I'm not around, and then bails into the water as I enter the yard.

So today when I got home from work, I fished her out of the pond to make sure she was looking healthy. I have not really seen her eat that much, but most of my Lilly pads are missing, I assume she has been eating those. So I took a picture of her shell as it looks like it's shedding or has some challenges. The rest of the week here is suppose to be hotter <30C> so I am hoping she will get some more basking time.

On a side note, I have only owned both RES for one month. The turtle in question Im guessing is 5 to 6 years old, and had always be kept inside in a very small tank.

Image http://www.flickr.com/photos/cassiarkoi/5854573731/in/photostream
CoaXiL

Post Posted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:41 pm   Re: Outdoor Turtle not basking a lot

Here's the pic:

It just takes time and that is not always enough especially considering they are in a pond and interact less with you than other keepers and their RES. Her shedding does look good, though there is noticeable fungus present. Fungus that makes it to the new scutes will reinfect and spread as the previous infection did.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:31 pm   Re: Outdoor Turtle not basking a lot

Thanks Steve,

Both for posting the picture, and the reply. I even tried to follow the instructions on how to post a picture and failed, so I thought Id just add the link.

Should I be concerned about the fungus, or is this something that will correct over time. I am planning on bringing both RES in for the winter. I currently only have a 80gallon aquarium which I used to raise Koi fry, but have no light or a filtration system that would work for RES. I was planning on buying some type of larger enclosure like a preformed pond for the garage over winter, but I have not yet decided. So I don't really have the setup for indoors yet. Should I be accelerating this plan or is the fungus not that critical.
CoaXiL

Post Posted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:09 am   Re: Outdoor Turtle not basking a lot

Why ya bringing the turtles in for the winter since the pond is obviously is big enough for them to make it during winter especially since you have koi?

As for the fungas, seeing as the turtle is outside I wouldnt worry about it or actually I cant even tell if it funags or just hard water deposits from lack of sheedding from previous owner.

Also about the basking,turtles have real good at spottting you before you see them. I know my turtles outside usually take off from basking area before i see them but i hear them hit the water.
Instagram: Diamondbacks4Life
Diamondbacks4Life

Post Posted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 6:26 pm   Re: Outdoor Turtle not basking a lot

Diamondbacks4Life wrote:
Also about the basking,turtles have real good at spottting you before you see them. I know my turtles outside usually take off from basking area before i see them but i hear them hit the water.

Yeah they are VERY good about being quick off the dock when outside. almost like a Ninja!!!!
DarkGenoc1de on Playstation Network
SINI5T3R

Return to Habitat - Outdoor