Habitat - Outdoor :: Sludge and algae

Ponds and other outdoor enclosures.

Post Posted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:09 pm   Sludge and algae

Hello... my outdoor pond has sludge and algae on the bottom. It is about 100 gallons (I think) and 12 inches deep, give or take. We created it specifically for our 1 red ear, Shelley. The water is clear due to the UV light the water is pumped through and back into the pond. The filter is one of the in the pond varieties. It is about a foot square and is attached to the pump that runs through the UV light. I am cleaning the filter pads everyday due to the build up of sludge. I've treated the pond with Fluker's sludge removal, but it doesn't appear to be doing anything all all. I don't mind the green algae on the sides and bottom. We also have 4 fish. Is there a safe product out there to break done the sludge?

Thanks so much :msgreen:
Jules

3 cats - Alfie, Snickers and Cooper
2 chickens - Clarrisa and Jennifer
1 Red Eared Slider - Sheldor the Conqueror (who is actually a girl-we call her Shelly)
3 Goldfish - Goldy and the Gold Tones
2 Algae Eaters - Horace and Hilda
julesmims

Post Posted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:00 am   Re: Sludge and algae

Snails
1 F RES 9" (Kingler)
1 F Belize Slider 7" (Agamemnon)
My Youtube Channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/condorboy1/videos
Linus

Post Posted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:07 pm   Re: Sludge and algae

Algae eaters/ bristlenose plecos could aid in preventing more growth... bt depending on how serious the current situation is.. you may have to clean it out yourself :/
Proud Owner of 3 RES
Ronnie- Caramel Pink res
Petals - Pastel Res
Chloe-Albino Res
Pinky- Pink belled Sideneck
swiltz

Post Posted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:08 pm   Re: Sludge and algae

algae normally occurs when there are excess nutrients in the water, coupled with sun light ( normal as your pond is outdoors). How is your biological filtration system going? Have you tested the pond water for ammonia/nitrites? High levels of these will encourage algae growth in the long run and should be kept to a minimal
Proud Owner of 3 RES
Ronnie- Caramel Pink res
Petals - Pastel Res
Chloe-Albino Res
Pinky- Pink belled Sideneck
swiltz

Post Posted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:41 am   Re: Sludge and algae

Other plants taking the nutrients helps, especially if they're of the floating, shading variety. Turtles seem to love water hyacinth, and those not only grow like weeds but they shade the bottom so the algae and sludge doesn't grow as much. (You can get those on ebay pretty easily, and I know of a pond-plant-grower out in Southern California that I get really good quality plants from if you were interested in her info.)
Outside Pond Boys: :mrgreen:Timmy & Chewy & Ike
Outside Pond Girls: :msgreen:Betty & Frick & Frack & Tina & Nyrtle-Sweetpea
Inside Tank: :mrgreen:Sheldon :msgreen: Mork :msgreen: Mindy
Nursery: :?: Baby Timmy & Ranger
apondfortimmy

Post Posted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:24 pm   Re: Sludge and algae

Thank you so much everyone.

I will probably be cleaning the whole thing out one day when Shelley is out basking. And, last year we did have plants.. which did not make it through the winter cold. I will add more. I would love to have the name of your source for plants in Sourthern California.

Also, I will purchase whatever is necessary to test the water for quality. What PH level should it be for a turtle?

I have 4 goldfish in the pond which are about 4 or 5 inches. How big are the algae eaters and bristlenose plecos? I'm worried Shelley might eat them.

I'll let you know how it goes

Thanks!
Jules

1 Red Eared Slider - Sheldor the Conqueror (who is actually a girl-we call her Shelly)
julesmims

Post Posted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:44 pm   Re: Sludge and algae

Im going to make a pond soon. does this happen allot?
Pets:
Izzy- 2.5 inch 1 year old cooter turtle
Rizzu- 1 inch 6 months old cooter turtle
Kurby-1.5 inch cooter turtle(R.I.P)
Rebble- 4 year old boxer dog

pics of kurby
http://imgur.com/a/VwYfx#3
kerby

Post Posted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:23 pm   Re: Sludge and algae

Hello all...

Well, I drained the pond, scrubbed the sides and bottom, refilled (added water conditioner/chlorine remover) and put Shelly and the fish back in a clear and sparkling pool. I need to add plants and some algae eaters. I know there are algae and sludge removal products that you can buy to treat the water periodically. Are these products safe for turtles and fish? I'd like to keep growth to a minimum without using something harmful.

Thanks for any suggestions you all may have.
Jules

julesmims

Post Posted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:18 am   Re: Sludge and algae

How thick is the sludge? Would you be able to suck it out, with say a pump or a shop vacuum? We generally don't recommend adding chemicals to treat water.
steve
Site Admin

Return to Habitat - Outdoor