Feeding and Nutrition :: Recently Gifted Pink Bellied Sideneck

Turtle diets and eating habits discussed here.

Post Posted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:07 pm   Recently Gifted Pink Bellied Sideneck

I recently was gifted a Pink-bellied Side-neck turtle that is a yearling about 3" in carapace length. She seems to only like the Tetra floating stick food. Won't eat the Fluval treats or Zoo Med pellets. I also have been giving her fresh, that is "real" salmon bits (absolutely no additives) twice a week which she gobbles. I don't know how much I should be giving her. She's in a 100 gallon tank that has a clean up crew of a bunch of catfish that have been in that tank a couple of years (synadontis, hoplo, BN plecos, yo yo loaches). No arguments yet with the turtle. The water is 80 degrees, UVB, super filtration, basking area at 90 degrees, lots of driftwood to navigate, seemingly all the right stuff. I've had turtles before but not RBSN. Any tips on feeding, diet, quantity, etc. specific to this type of turtle based on experience would be greatly appreciated. I'm gonna see if she tries to communicate with my Uromastyx - their tanks are next to each other (kidding - my uro doesn't understand Tok Pisin and I doubt the RBSN understands Egyptian - again kidding).
Do you think a map or Southern painted turtle would be okay to add to that tank in the near future? I'd like to get a DBT, but cost is prohibitive these days.
Thanks in advance for advice.
kgoerg1

Post Posted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:03 am   Re: Recently Gifted Pink Bellied Sideneck

Turtles are usually territorial, so having more than in one tank can be very risky. As for feeding, I wouldn't feed too much assuming you're feeding every day. Perhaps the 1/3 head size of pellets plus veggies.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:29 am   Re: Recently Gifted Pink Bellied Sideneck

Thanks for the advice, Steve.
Should I be feeding a yearling every day? If so, how many pieces of food that are 1/3 head size? She is constantly looking for food and eats as much as I put in the tank - probably equivalent to 4 of those green Tetra food sticks daily.
kgoerg1

Post Posted: Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:11 am   Re: Recently Gifted Pink Bellied Sideneck

You can always feed everyday, just adjust the amount accordingly. And feel free to skip a day or two and don't worry amount "making up" with more. For the 1/3 head size, just estimate it and be conservative, especially when it's protein like pellets or treats. If your turtle is very active, maybe offer a bit more but also try to include some veggies into the diet.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:07 am   Re: Recently Gifted Pink Bellied Sideneck

Thanks again, Steve. Have a great weekend.
kgoerg1

Return to Feeding and Nutrition