Feeding and Nutrition :: Newbie question on WHERE to put the food

Turtle diets and eating habits discussed here.

Post Posted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:10 pm   Newbie question on WHERE to put the food

Ok, so I AM blonde - but I think asking a stupid question is better than asking none, and then making mistakes! :D

Just got an ADORABLE RES, named Striper, and the tank is all set up, etc. etc. I have a question on feeding - where do I put the food - pellets, greens, etc. in the tank? Should I put it on the floating dock? or do I need a little tub to put stuff in - do they make something like that that gets suctioned onto the side of the tank like the dock, so that the food can stay dry?

Right now, I've put some squash, and a few greens and pellets on the dock - he hasn't even seemed interested in eating as yet, having just come "home" yesterday.

THANKS for your help!
turtle2373

Post Posted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:14 pm   

Hi and welcome :)

You just put the food in the water. A turtle needs water in order to eat as they have no saliva and they have a fixed tongue. How old/big is your turtle? A turtle is more carnivorous when younger and will eat more veggies as it grows. You can offer veggies but don't be surprised if it won't eat it. Have you checked out the what to feed and not to feed section of the forum. There's a lot helpful advice :)
Carol
cam722
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:21 pm   

Thanks Carol! Yea, I've read all the stuff on what to/not to feed - I have some dark leafy greens, and the fortified pellets. I also have some green squash.

The pet store said that spinach was OK, but in this website it says it's not. What's the consensus?

I'm not sure how old he is, his shell is about 6".
- Laura

Striper - 6"
turtle2373

Post Posted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:29 pm   

The consensus is, that spinach is bad for your turtle. As stated in the what not to feed your turtle.. Spinach contains oxalic acid.

Oxalic acid blocks the absorption of calcium. These foods cause the turtle to become calcium deficient even if a good source of calcium is provided which can result in soft shell or MBD (metabolic bone disease) which is fatal.
Carol
cam722
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:43 pm   

Well then that settles it! The spinach will be on MY dinner plate, not his!

Thanks again. :)
- Laura

Striper - 6"
turtle2373

Post Posted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 2:31 pm   

It will usually take a few days for your turt to get used to his new home.They sell food plates,but they just float around,there's no suction cups.At first I put Vien's food in the water,and she wouldn't eat it,so I put it on her basking spot,and she ate it,now i put her food in the water,and she eats it.Just give her some time
vieniebebe

Return to Feeding and Nutrition